Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    except it's more than just a members area
    It's an entire freaking web-based OS...
    BUT I don't know how I would start. I already have register.php and login.php. Now would I proceed to make an index.php? Can I just make it like a completely normal website and then add the personalized aspect of it afterword? or do I have to design the thing from ground up like that?
    What I mean is, like, for example, Pandora.com: you log in, and you get your customized stations. Here, you log in, and you get your customized web desktop!
    Right now the ONLY thing I want to do is create the basic template with how it's gonna look for everyone, then I'm going to make it customized to make it each persons stuff when they log in...
    So a bit of help please?
    thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Do you have everyone's info (or profile, whatever you call it) saved in a MySQL database?
    I assume you use a MySQL database because you mentioned the login/registration part is already done.

Create a "mock" page exactly how you want it to look with fake info hardcoded into the HTML.
    Make it look exactly how you want, with the member's name, photo, the whole thing.

Once that is done, you'll discover a few things.
    1) What kind of info or data needs to be stored for each member.
    2) How each section of the page is divided up and formatted for the content.
    3) Letting others see that mock page to offer ideas and suggestions before you spend
    hours on making it all dynamic.

When you get that design finalized, you'll know what tables and columns need to be
    added to your MySQL database. That mock page will become your template. You'll
    query the database based on who is logged in, and each section of that page will
    populate the content from the database info.

When you get a fully finished 'mock' page with John Doe's profile and content, let us know.
    Give us a URL to that page.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Ok will do thanks!

Remove Ads