Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Is it possible to use an HTML form with PayPal? Here's what I need to do..

Need a form to pass along this info

Student:
    Phone:
    Job:
    School:
    House:
    Pose:

In the same form will be six portrait packages in a dropdown menu from paypal along with the ability to purchase additional single prints which I haven't yet figured out how I want to do.

The form information as well as the PayPal order need to be sent together in one e-mail so my company has everything in one place. The order will be printed and passed through three departments (retouching, printing, shipping) before it is completed. All the info is needed to pass through these departments without an issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    372 times
    I would do it this way ... but not necessarily the way to go ...

I would have the users register and login.
    That way, you use MySQL to let them build their package and profile.
    When they want to order, use PayPal IPN to process the transaction, and
    a successful (payment) return back from PayPal is also updated in the
    user's profile. Any admin, or department, will know which orders are
    in process, paid for, and the status of them all along the way. Even
    the customer can log in and see their order status. If their PayPal
    payment failed for any reason, that is also recorded in their status.

PayPal IPN:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=paypa...le&btnG=Search

The only time they leave your site is when they actually "pay for the package".
    They are sent to PayPal to enter their name, CC number, and automatically
    gets sent back to your site.

My main reason for having them log-in and create their package is this:
    They can spend a couple of days deciding. Going in picking, coming back
    the next day, looking again, picking more. Their profile remains active
    until they decide to "buy the package". Then, the process moves on to
    the other departments.

No emails involved except for some "confirmation and status". Using emails
    to send the info to various people is a bad idea. The customer may want to
    change something, or make a mistake, and the email is already sent. It will
    be confusing to resend emails with changes. Email is always a bad idea.

Member #
    Liked
    764 times
    I agree with msliem something with so many possible options should always be written to a DB.

PayPal is just a payment system, they don't care what you sell or how much for... all they really want you to do is to ( as a developer ) is send them a $$$ amount and your account ID ( which is buried in the pay now button code )... and as msliem stated, once the payment is completed, paypal will redirect the user back to your site.

Yes this could be done with just HTML, but if the user leaves the site for any reason, when they return they will have to go back through all the selection processes. Even if using javascript cookies to save this information... failure happen...

The more information you can keep control over during their selection process, the less chances of errors... then there is the "returning" clients that had purchased before... and the up selling / cross selling opportunities are all missed if you don't use a DB.

Then there is the fallback to the DB in case for some strange reason the person either mis-types THEIR email address, or god forbid a mail server somewhere goes down and can't deliver the email.

once the info is in the DB, you can run a script ( at your control ), to generate emails to whomever you want using the information from the DB... these can be a simple page that only you know about, or can be setup as a CRON job to run n a schedule.

Just my opinion.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I thought about a DB, but I have no idea how to even begin that process. It sounds like it would be a lot easier once it's set up, but I've never done anything like this before. All I have done is basic HTML/CSS sites with some basic JavaScript and a little PHP.

I'm working on this all by myself so I don't even have anyone to kind of help me along in the process. Everyone goes home and I literally sit in a room by myself for 2 hours. Maybe I should pull out some of my school books and see if I can find some information.

What type of database would you suggest to use? I think the company that hosts the site might offer some kind of database, but again I don't think I'd even know where to begin setting it up.

Maybe I'm in over my head and should just tell them I can't do it and to stop being cheap and hire an actual programmer. I wanted to get some more experience but I don't think this is something I can do by myself.

Member #
    Liked
    764 times
    And I couldn't do my first DB until I did it...

If you know HTML, CSS and a little php then you're good...

Contact your hosting provider. See what DB they have to offer and see about getting access to it... Most decent hosting providers offer a MySql DB, and most hosting packages offer at aleast the ability to create a couple of DB's.

Head on over to w3schools.com, take a look at the section about php on inserting and or updating records. You may be surprised on how easy it is...

Of course you can always come back here and ask questions... Hope they are paying you OT to learn...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes I'm getting OT, and the website is hosted through a local company using Plesk Parallels. I created a new MySQL database and added myself as the default user. I guess I'll research some after work tonight and see what I can do. I'm sure I will be posting threads on here to get some help. Thank you very much

Member #
    Liked
    372 times
    The register/confirm/login part is already done using this free script:
    http://php-login-script.com/

You can download it and customize it. They provide the MySQL query to
    set up the MySQL table. You need to customize that also, adding more
    columns to that ... like the list you made in post #1.

If you start with that free script, and get it installed and working, you can use
    their "user profile" part as your client profile. Add some more columns for status,
    payment stuff, paypal stuff, timestamps, etc. I can visualize it in my head, but
    without actually doing it, I can't determine what columns will be needed to start with.

At any time during your scripting, you can add or delete MySQL columns as you need to.

It is almost impossible to learn PHP/MySQL through this forum. We can answer
    troubleshooting questions, but we can't execute or test any scripting you show us.
    We just look at it and see if there's an obvious scripting problem.

I think this site is a good place for beginners to learn:
    http://www.tizag.com/mysqlTutorial/

They seem to move at a good pace. Google is the next place: php mysql tutorial

You don't need to spend any money on books or scripts. Everything you need should
    be found online (google it). Also, do your editing using notepad++:
    http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Notepad++ is free and is a great editor. It numbers the lines, highlights with color, etc.

EDIT:
    I found this site:
    http://www.geekality.net/2011/05/28/...ification-ipn/

That looks like a nice tutorial for PayPal IPN

Member #
    Liked
    372 times
    Let's move this thread to the PHP section of the forum.
    PHP would be a better place to discuss your project.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think I'm in over my head on this one haha I'll look at the references and see what I can do after hours today. I've set up a database before with a simple form for one of my classes, but I never got it to work properly. It wouldn't update the information from the form into the database.

At least I have a little knowledge going into this. Thanks guys.

Member #
    Liked
    764 times
    You're already ahead of the game ( not TheGame ), but you have an understanding...

SQL is a tricky thing at first... I've been using it for years using ASP and oracle and MySQL DB's.

Making the time to learn some PHP ( enough to make me dangerous )...

It's tough learn anything using a hosted server for testing... I downloaded WAMP about a month ago, making learning 1000 times easier...

WAMP = Windows - Apache - MySQL - PHP environment that you can run on your local machine for development and testing... It has all the modules and interfaces you need for running an environment similar to your hosting environment...

If you're running IIS on your machine, you will need to turn it off and stop the service to get WAMP to work on your machine.. But it does make learning a lot easier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast