Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Hi,

I have involved myself in an interesting website project. So, my client is making a website for her friend, who runs a Taekwondo school. This site is huge, with a members section and an online store.The project became too complex for my client, so she is hiring me for help.

One of the things I'm tasked with doing is setting up a shopping cart. There are multiple ways to approach the cart. I don't too much experience with carts, so please tell me which way you think would be easiest for me:

1. Reuse the existing online store. It is fully functional and very simple. It would just need a couple things added and would need to be re-designed to match my client's re-design. It has worked well for over 10 years. Furthermore, the database is already set! The only issue is that it was written in MIVA (.mv file., a server language), which I have not seen before, so it may make things difficult for me.

2. Start fresh. My client has purchased a website template and a shopping cart from i3dthemes.com. It'll take a while to look through everything (because she uses Dreamweaver and user interfaces while I only use code), but since it was purchased, I assume it would be easy to setup. The downside would be that I would need to create a new database.

So what do you think? Which method would be the best for a lightweight PHP guy like myself?

-R

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    I say out with the old and in with the new. If you already have a shopping cart and a template for it then there's probably not much you have to do. Assuming this is PHP you'll have little learning curve to get into it. Sure you'll have to add some products to the database, but you could write a script to automate that and transfer them across and save yourself some time.

If there isn't much budget and time then just scope them both out as well as you can and work out what's quicker.
    Mark Gannaway Software Developer

Recent Experiments
    - Backpropogation Neural Network language solving (http://ann.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Animated image to ASCII (http://google.ganners.co.uk/)
    - 3D Paper Characters (http://cybergame.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Anagram solving (http://roflol.co.uk/)

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Let's start with this:
    website template and a shopping cart from i3dthemes.com

Is this WordPress? What "system" is the theme supposed to be used for?
    Or is it just a plain HTML/CSS theme that is not associated with a CMS?

PHP/MySQL is the way to go.
    You only need to somehow find a way to save the entire MIVA database
    into a plain text CSV (comma separate variable) file. See if you can find
    a way to do that. Once you have a CSV file, give us a copy of the first
    few lines. We can give you a PHP script to convert that to a MySQL table.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim, post: 234564
    Let's start with this:
    website template and a shopping cart from i3dthemes.com

Is this WordPress? What "system" is the theme supposed to be used for?
    Or is it just a plain HTML/CSS theme that is not associated with a CMS?

PHP/MySQL is the way to go.
    You only need to somehow find a way to save the entire MIVA database
    into a plain text CSV (comma separate variable) file. See if you can find
    a way to do that. Once you have a CSV file, give us a copy of the first
    few lines. We can give you a PHP script to convert that to a MySQL table.
    I believe this is a regular HTML-based template, and as far as I can see, the source is incredibly easy to read. I can't really see the cart though. It seems that these guys have a UI set for buyers to set everything up with no need for web language. I logged in and I even noticed a button that says "install shopping cart function". I haven't pressed it but... could things really be that easy?? My client paid $100 for the cart, btw.

I guess you're are right... I mean, since my client is putting so much time to make this site up to date, might as well use popular server side language. So I should just forget about the old shopping cart, but find and keep the database? Sounds like a great idea. I've got some hunting to do, I suppose. Thanks.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    "keep the database". It's already there, I'm just saying to convert it to MySQL and
    use PHP for your new site (along with the MySQL database). You can still add the
    shopping cart and use the old database (what would be the new MySQL database).

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim, post: 234601
    "keep the database". It's already there, I'm just saying to convert it to MySQL and
    use PHP for your new site (along with the MySQL database). You can still add the
    shopping cart and use the old database (what would be the new MySQL database).
    Thanks. Have you worked with MIVA before? Any thoughts on it? I took a deeper look at it, and I personally think it's a mess! The shopping cart and page designs are as simple as it gets and inventory is only several hundred... yet the online store directory has 22 files + 3 folders (includes UI, of course)!!! It's impossible to navigate through.

You are 1000% right that PHP/MYSQL is the way to go. I have to get login info for the UI and export database as 1 file... cause I couldn't find anything via FTP.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I'm not familiar with MIVA, but I found this:
    http://www.hosting.com/support/miva5/exportdata

Can you export your database to a "flat-file"?
    If so, do that and zip them into a file ... then attach here.
    A PHP script can convert them all to MySQL tables.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Good lord...

This shopping cart is so old that it doesn't use databases. Can't salvage any of the product info... but I was able to export the customer data.

Can you help me out with this? It's delimited by '+'. Here are the categories and the first 2 entries.

CUSTOMER_LOGIN+CUSTOMER_LOST_PASSWORD_EMAIL+CUSTOM ER_SHIPPING_FIRST_NAME+CUSTOMER_SHIPPING_LAST_NAME +CUSTOMER_SHIPPING_ADDRESS+CUSTOMER_SHIPPING_CITY+ CUSTOMER_SHIPPING_STATE+CUSTOMER_SHIPPING_ZIP+CUST OMER_SHIPPING_COUNTRY+CUSTOMER_SHIPPING_EMAIL+CUST OMER_SHIPPING_PHONE+CUSTOMER_SHIPPING_FAX+CUSTOMER _SHIPPING_COMPANY+CUSTOMER_BILLING_FIRST_NAME+CUST OMER_BILL_LAST_NAME+CUSTOMER_BILLING_ADDRESS+CUSTO MER_BILLING_CITY+CUSTOMER_BILLING_STATE+CUSTOMER_B ILLING_ZIP+CUSTOMER_BILLING_COUNTRY+CUSTOMER_BILLI NG_EMAIL+CUSTOMER_BILLING_PHONE+CUSTOMER_BILLING_F AX+CUSTOMER_BILLING_COMPANY+

-R

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    That looks like it can be converted OK.

You now need to find out what "ecommerce" shopping cart system you wish to use.
    Determining that might be done by knowing who processes the credit cards. An existing
    shopping cart system will be easiest to install, configure and customize.

Once installed, add a few new customers and then we'll be able to take a look at the MySQL
    tables that are used. It's at that point we can write a PHP script to transfer your existing
    "flat-file" delimited database to MySQL. Every ecommerce system uses different MySQL
    table names and column names.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Hi Mlseim,

After thinking about it for a bit and looking at the file, I'm thinking that mySQL databases may not be too difficult to read. I was just overwhelmed at first because I've never really dug into databases... ever.

You said they're comma delimited, so I'm guessing a mySQL db would look something like this:

Last_name, First_name,City,State
    Smith,John,Mapo,Texas

Am I right? Well, I'm thinking since it looks jacked up in it's raw form and that I might want to add/remove certain categories, I could import it into excel using delimiters, edit as I wish and even deleting entire colums at a click, and then export it out as a data file to be easily eased into mySQL. What do you think of this method? Or do control panels offer this?

-R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads