Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Advanced integration method = you host the payment page, capture the credit card information and other details, and pass the ones as needed to your payment processor.
    Simple integration method = the payment processor hosts the payment page, captures whatever they need, and then send the user back to your site for a confirmation. The best example I can think of for this is a PayPal Buy Now button.

The former is preferred because it will generally convert more (since the user isn't led to another site), but it's harder...sometimes much harder if you get a crappy payment processor.

CC Merchant Account Provider = the company that provides the VISA/Mastercard merchant account. It's usually a bank, but sometimes the smarter payment processors roll both payment processing and credit card merchant account services into one, or at least make it an option. The best route this way for a merchant is usually to talk to the bank and get an Internet Merchant Account through them, but this can take a while and if your camp's starting soon, there may not be enough time. I'd suggest calling Authorize.net and seeing what they have to say. They're usually pretty helpful in regard to things like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    726 times
    SIM, like PayPal's typical gateway is very easy to program.
    But, the customer goes to PayPal to actually make the payment.

AIM, like authorize.net (they offer both SIM and AIM), takes more
    programming and requires a secure server webhost account.

The fees vary between CC merchants also. Some have monthly fees plus
    transaction fees, some just have transaction fees. You'll have to determine
    what the camp is willing to spend on fees for accepting credit cards online.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Hey guys,

We finally took the next step and got set up for cc processing. It turns out that the owner's current credit card company of 20 years also has some kind of relationship with Authorize.net and the owner decided on them. And they even waived the setup fee (~$90).

I called the cc processors and they said setup is SUPER easy (contrary to what you mentioned) and all I have to do is punch in the API key and some other info into the appropriate inputs in the shopping cart UI.

Unfortunately, this shopping cart which was purchased (and which I hate, along with the template) is only set up for Paypal linking (lesson: i3dthemes.com SUCKS). So, I have to change the shopping cart. I'm guessing I'll have to do something like this:

1. Find shopping cart software.
    2. Install shopping cart software.
    3. Convert data from current DB to new shopping cart (gonna be a pain in the butt...)
    4. Punch in the appropriate API info.

Is this about right? Also, do you guys have recommendations for shopping cart templates or systems? The one I'm working with isn't bad at all in terms of UI (very important, so that the client can do things on his own). Just from what I've heard, Magneto seems cool, but I figured I should ask you experienced folks.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    726 times
    Magento is good.

I question the "SUPER easy" statement. Install the Magento shopping cart and
    then decide how super easy it is. Maybe it will be .. maybe it won't.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I disagree on Magento, although I haven't integrated anything other than PayPal with it yet. I found implementing a custom skin for it far more difficult than I would have to implement it from scratch. I was able to do it eventually, but it was awkward and on more than one occasion I ended up completely having to reinstall the thing because it was that flaky.

Community support for Magento is practically non-existent as well...if you're stuck, you're on your own. Ask a question, it's months before you get an answer (if at all). I honestly don't even know why they have forums on their own site...it's not like anyone gets any real help.

This is one of the reasons I ultimately decided upon the DIY route years ago. You try a cart, it sucks. You try another cart, it doesn't do what you want and you can't easily customize it. You try a third cart, it sucks. You try a fourth cart, you can't alter the checkout process. You try a fifth cart, it's got security holes in it you can drive a truck through. So my recommendation would be to try to learn to DIY it if you can. I still haven't seen a good one yet.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    726 times
    Because you're dealing with a camp (registration), as I said in post #3 "no shopping cart".

It wouldn't hurt to experience the process of installing a shopping cart though.
    I just don't think you need to use one at all.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    If the camp has already gone through the process of acquiring a payment processor, though, I think he's already committed to a cart whether he wants to be or not.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Hey guys,

Actually, there's an online store, so we have the shopping cart setup already. I was just unsure of how to setup payment for a service. As for this camp fee (it is variable, according to options), I guess it would be easiest to have them pay for x amount, where x is the cost of their camp plan + options.

Would it be possible to modify the current crappy shopping cart to accept payments other than Paypal? Or should I just find some software that is setup to mesh with well with authorize.net?

I am mortified to here you say that I should make a cart system myself. Oh my goodness, just thinking about it makes me want to quiver up and die. It's a lot of php, but also a good amount of work to be put into the UI. What you say is true though -- the best way to make something do what you want to do would be to DIY.

If you have any other good suggestions for shopping carts, I would appreciate it.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    The answer to your question depends on the cart. If you host the cart yourself, you should be able to with sufficient programming knowledge. If it's one of the crappy hosted cart solutions like say Amazon Webstore, you're going to be in for a rough time.

I don't really have a good suggestion for a cart myself. I haven't seen one yet that hasn't handcuffed me in some form or fashion. it sucks, but it's also reality. Trust me, though...if you can learn how to build it, you'll have so much more fun.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 236057
    The answer to your question depends on the cart. If you host the cart yourself, you should be able to with sufficient programming knowledge. If it's one of the crappy hosted cart solutions like say Amazon Webstore, you're going to be in for a rough time.

I don't really have a good suggestion for a cart myself. I haven't seen one yet that hasn't handcuffed me in some form or fashion. it sucks, but it's also reality. Trust me, though...if you can learn how to build it, you'll have so much more fun.
    Yes, I understand that most will be limited in some way... but in a time vs benefit consideration, having something pre-made is worth missing some functionality. And after spending a lot of time looking at different carts, I'd say that if you have a good functioning cart system, you can probably make good money off it selling to developers or just to biz owners who want a reasonable cart engine (or do you already do this?).

I've been playing around with Zen Cart all day. Good functionality, "easy" to use, but very ugly UI. The people that developed this are smart, but it seems they don't have as much skill in design and making navigation easy. Looks like I've got some customizing work to do. Fortunately, it seems linking with a payment gateway is easy as 1-2-3.

-R

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads