Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Read reviews on shopping carts at shopping-cart-reviews.com

It seems everyone agrees that "Zen Cart" is bloated and ugly, but useful.
    "Os Commerce" is good, but seems to be easy to hack, thus shouldn't even be considered.
    Both "Opencart" and "Ecwid" have very modern websites and have good reviews, so I think I will check them out as well.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Zen cart is pretty easy ( subjective term ), to customize the look and feel of...

Just rename all the "admin" section... Whatever you do, don't leave the admin section login as "out of the box"....

I've even gone so far as to put a redirect out if coming from the same domain... And use a different domain name for login... None of the "open source" carts are really ( edit: NOT ) secure ( HELLLOOOOOO , OPEN SOURCE )... But if you can keep hackers or wanna be hackers from finding the front door... You stand a better chance...

Last time I looked zen cart had a module for authorize.net, but it's been a while...

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Wait...did you dare say that none of the open source carts are really secure? BLASPHEMY! You have spoken evil of open source! You will be banished forever!

As far as how I handle my carts/checkouts, I customize all mine so they can't be resold as such...each business has its own because each business has its own quirks associated with the cart. That's one of the reasons why I DIY. In your case, your quirk is that you have a camp registration tied to the cart first.

I also do some coding/development work for an e-commerce cart builder that handles carts for some pretty major companies (I can't name names because of the agreement I signed, but trust me...you've heard of a few of them). They ended up completely stripping down the .NET framework and rebuilding it using only the components that applied to e-commerce specifically for this reason. As a result, the cart is relatively easy to customize, works (most of the time) with SVN, and can be staged. But it's not anything you'll ever come across as "out of the box" and with good reason...when you're talking paranational companies, you can't have something that is open source because of the reason Webzarus just stated (security) in conjunction with the name recognition of the company.

I've used OpenCart before. Horrible cart. Monkey butt ugly code. Wouldn't recommend it. Ecwid...no experience with that. My experiences with ZenCart and OsCommerce are the same as Webzarus'.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Damn iPhone.....

Sorry for the angst :

Was suppose to say ( open source carts are really NOT secure )....

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    The new Zen Cart 1.5 mentions that we should take the safety precautions -- rename the admin folder, set permissions, delete the install file. But Wordpress is a similar tool, so I guess Wordpress is unsecure as well?

I'm sure you're right about the safety issue -- I mean, having it available for download for the public is like trusting the locksmith to not break into your house (he can, probably won't, but there might be 1 or two bad ones that would). And I was thinking also that some guys might take it, alter it, and then repackage it as a legitimate copy and use it just to mess with people or have backdoor access.

Anyway, this is turning out to be a interesting week playing around and learning about all this "open-source" shopping cart stuff. I think I will need to cuddle tenderly with a 6-pack of beer to relieve myself of all this shopping-cart-stress lter this week.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Zen cart is really meant for sites with a whole bunch of times and categories...

So I have a question that may seem silly... But how many ( a number ), is the max items that you would have for this thing you're doing...

Seriously, if it's less than a dozen... I'd write my own...

I'm sure there is open source projects or even authorize.net should have instructions on how to integrate an API or use ther API key for something like this...

I did something for a client a few years back ... Heartland payment systems had sample code and examples of how to integrate into the different server side codes... But you actually had to get access to it from one of their REPS... ( not freely available on the Internet )...

Once I understood what they needed.... It actually took longer to read their instructions and explanations than it did to actually create it...

And this client had 6 options ( add ons ), no shipping... Etc... Just payment for services.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Webzarus,

I think there's over 200 items and maybe 10 main categories. Of course, if there was just 12 items or 6 services, I'd be more than willing to just list them all on one page, make individual pages, and then setup interaction with authorize.net. Because of the medium-sized inventory though, more PHP functionality is required that I don't think I can do (don't have the skill and can't do in a reasonable amount of time).

-R

Member #
    Liked
    726 times
    What is the cart you have now called?
    Is there a place online that I can see the demo and documentation for it?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Ok... I thought it was for a camp registration.. They must have A LOT of options...

Yeah, zen cart can easily handle that... Populating it correctly is going to be a pain ... There was talk at one time of making a CSV file that could be uploaded and would populate the DB... Don't know if it was just wishful thinking or actually planning... Been a while.

Have fun

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim, post: 236306
    What is the cart you have now called?
    Is there a place online that I can see the demo and documentation for it?
    Msleim:

http://www.zen-cart.com/ is the site

http://zencarttemplates.info/zc150/ is where you can see the default template (warning: it is the default template so it comes preloaded with all modules/toolboxes and overall, looks like a crime against humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 236308
    Ok... I thought it was for a camp registration.. They must have A LOT of options...

Yeah, zen cart can easily handle that... Populating it correctly is going to be a pain ... There was talk at one time of making a CSV file that could be uploaded and would populate the DB... Don't know if it was just wishful thinking or actually planning... Been a while.

Have fun
    Yes, since I already have a database file that's been populated using the other shopping cart, I'm going to try and see if I can re-arrange things, whether in a .sql or .db or even if I have to import into excel, sort, and then export it back to fit the categories of the zen cart. Not looking forward to it.

-R

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads