Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Hi,

I'm setting up registration for a camp, which will include things to be paid for. My layout is this:

page 1: fill out info + select order
    page 2: review information + total cost of order
    page 3: function sends copy of info to submitter + owner (says "copy has been sent to you in the email." click here to pay for your order)
    page 4: a shopping cart pops up with order items populated in (or would it be a better idea to just make it a payment, with no shopping cart items?).

At this point, I'm not sure how to populate a shopping cart with items. I'm guessing I'd have to make a new page and then use php mysql functions?

-R

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    A one-page checkout would be simpler, and in your case it's a lot easier because you don't have shipping costs involved (I'm assuming that the things to be paid for are things like hiking boots and rope and bug repellent which need to stay on the camp site anyway).

User picks items (Javascript/jQuery total calculator would be nice here).
    JS-enabled users would see their totals and be presented with a credit card form (I'm assuming that's how these are being paid as well) on the same page.
    Non-JS users need a second page to review/pay.

WARNING: the first time you do a job like this is always a bugger. Be prepared to struggle and swear. You'll get it if you're a real dev, but you will struggle and swear. You have to. That's just how it be sometimes.

How you populate those items would be up to the language/dbms selected. Personally, I'd rock my *** some dotnet and SQL server but I'm also a little bit of a different breed than most people on here, or so I've been told. I don't see it myself.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I would say no shopping cart.
    But it will be important for us to know which credit card merchant you choose.

If you pick a CC merchant that offers AIM (advanced integration method), you'll have
    to have a secure server (HTTPS instead of HTTP). Users will stay on your site the
    whole time and the transactions take place with API registration keys. A secure server
    costs more money.

If you pick a CC merchant that uses SIM (simple integration method), the user selects
    your items (or camp registration) and they leave your site ... to enter their credit card
    number on the CC merchant site (securely). After the payment, they are bumped back
    to your site for a thankyou of some kind.

Whoever you choose will have PHP script examples for site developers. That's why we
    need to know who you choose ... as we can be of more help with PHP.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    A secure server doesn't HAVE to cost more money. A few hosts on shared hosting plans will let you use their shared server cert.

As far as language...you can get a lot of help in PHP. But there are also ASP and ASP.net people on here with knowledge if you prefer. So you have options if you need them.

Other than that...what he said. He speaks mad wisdom.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Haha... thanks for the warning.

I might be leaning toward Authorize.net, but it'll be the client's decision.

So I guess the big bottleneck here is the credit card processor... so I'll make that my priority for now!

Thanks.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Authorize.net is a great processor. Their API is really easy to work with and it's stable. Good choice, bro.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 235308
    A one-page checkout would be simpler, and in your case it's a lot easier because you don't have shipping costs involved (I'm assuming that the things to be paid for are things like hiking boots and rope and bug repellent which need to stay on the camp site anyway).

User picks items (Javascript/jQuery total calculator would be nice here).
    JS-enabled users would see their totals and be presented with a credit card form (I'm assuming that's how these are being paid as well) on the same page.
    Non-JS users need a second page to review/pay.

WARNING: the first time you do a job like this is always a bugger. Be prepared to struggle and swear. You'll get it if you're a real dev, but you will struggle and swear. You have to. That's just how it be sometimes.

How you populate those items would be up to the language/dbms selected. Personally, I'd rock my *** some dotnet and SQL server but I'm also a little bit of a different breed than most people on here, or so I've been told. I don't see it myself.
    Also, could you show me a site that does this 1-page pick/checkout/pay method? I've never seen something like that before in my history of buying online.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I could if I could think of one. :P

They do exist. I've built them before. Amazon.com has one (I think).

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    We still need to know who your CC merchant will be, and whether you are doing AIM or SIM.

The "one-page" checkout depends on those things. No way we can provide an example because
    all of the CC merchants are different ... until you provide us with more information.

EDIT:

And I might add ... your "camp thing". Does the website also have the users enter a complete
    profile of children, ages, address, medical info, etc? If so, your site will be required to be secure,
    and you'll be need a whole PHP/MySQL database system. This could also be part of the registration
    payment system. (or ASP)

So, it can get really complex unless you're only letting any non logged-in person pay for camp.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim, post: 235317
    We still need to know who your CC merchant will be, and whether you are doing AIM or SIM.

The "one-page" checkout depends on those things. No way we can provide an example because
    all of the CC merchants are different ... until you provide us with more information.

EDIT:

And I might add ... your "camp thing". Does the website also have the users enter a complete
    profile of children, ages, address, medical info, etc? If so, your site will be required to be secure,
    and you'll be need a whole PHP/MySQL database system. This could also be part of the registration
    payment system. (or ASP)

So, it can get really complex unless you're only letting any non logged-in person pay for camp.
    1. There is a difference between AIM/SIM provider and CC merchant? Could you give me an example of some popular CC merchants? I'm not sure I understand the difference. I guess guys like authorize.net,paypal, and google checkout are just middle men to process with CC merchants?

2. Yes, this camp registration will be public (thankfully). They have previously used a paper/fax method to register and they want to do it electronically this year. Is it important for me to secure the basic information (name, address, email)? I basically have it just as form data + php parameters. And of course, the payment info page will be secured.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads