Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    You really are right about the mouse/cookie bit, but maybe if he's on the kind of budget where he doesn't want to hire a programmer? Or just has the time to do it himself.. then maybe wordpress COULD be the way to go..

Member #
    looks like it is better for me to just make a simple page, put the download link and a 30 day guarantee and if people dont like it they can get a refund!

But even for that download link i need a program right?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by fantasycamop, post: 245563
    looks like it is better for me to just make a simple page, put the download link and a 30 day guarantee and if people dont like it they can get a refund!

But even for that download link i need a program right?
    You don't really need a 'program' for the link. You just need to be able to ''host" that pdf on a server. I suppose you can even host it on dropbox, sugarsync or google drive etc.

But this way you won't be able to collect people's email address to approach them later for feedback or follow. Nor will you get any stats on how many times it got downloaded.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostApproximate, post: 245565
    You don't really need a 'program' for the link. You just need to be able to ''host" that pdf on a server. I suppose you can even host it on dropbox, sugarsync or google drive etc.

But this way you won't be able to collect people's email address to approach them later for feedback or follow. Nor will you get any stats on how many times it got downloaded.
    yes i see the problem but to invest few hundred or even a thousand for a site that can produce less revenue than the book eventually sold if you oversell your ability is actually maybe worse.

The thing is i dont even know how much would a thing like that cost...

Member #
    I remember Dreamhost.com had something like "files forever" , I think that does what you want (http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Files_Forever)
    But I NOW see that they don't offer this anymore to new customers.

Anyway: I would go for the WordPress route: install WordPress and then install one of the e-commerce plugins. Your investment: only hosting (since WordPress and the basic e-commerce plugins are free).
    (And hosting can be as low as you want but think in terms of like $8 a month)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Edward De Leau, post: 246829
    I remember Dreamhost.com had something like "files forever" , I think that does what you want (http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Files_Forever)
    But I NOW see that they don't offer this anymore to new customers.

Anyway: I would go for the WordPress route: install WordPress and then install one of the e-commerce plugins. Your investment: only hosting (since WordPress and the basic e-commerce plugins are free).
    (And hosting can be as low as you want but think in terms of like $8 a month)
    thanks for the reply....

The problem with WordPress is that it looks generic and you do not look like you have made effort to make a page, i maybe wrong and people do not care but i know that having a page dedicated solely to your product looks more appealing rather than it looking like you just uploaded a file to some megaupload page that happens to imitate the real dot com.

Member #
    @fantasycamop: there is no difference :

Wordpress uses "themes". You can create your own theme. If your theme only consists of 1 page "hello world in red arial letters" , than that will be your complete website for endusers ....
    In other words: the uhm "GUI" is de-coupled from the "logics" inside WordPress.

YOU will have to create that "unique gui that is dedicated solely to that product" just like you do now: using your editor and html and css. (or you search through thousands of free themes and customize that one as a child theme to get you started faster). So there is no difference in that aspect.

Im sounding like a WordPress convert but uhm.. you could also do this with Joomla or Drupal or any of the other web cms systems (but somehow "easy" and "wordpress" is often thrown together in the community)

the advantage is : a. you can work with lots of stuff out-of-the-box e.g. "anti-spam", "e-commerce", "security", "themes", "statistics", "user database", "social icons", "facebook integration", "twitter integration", "seo", etc... not everything is perfect but it will save you a lot of time because by the time you have written that yourself updates will have appeared on all of those components which will in time leave you a generation behind.

Member #
    i see they have .com for pay, is it worth taking it, so you look more valid, and you still have all the options you enlisted above?

Member #
    im not talking about WordPress.com im talking about WordPress.org :

a. download WordPress from WordPress.ORG
    b. unzip it to c:\temp
    c. now follow instructions on how to locally install a webserver (eg apache,nginx or other), a database server (mysql or mariadb), a decent php development environment (eclipsepdt, netbeans, phpstorm or other) , a versioning tool (git,subversion,clearcase,mercurial,rtc, etc) , a documentation tool, etc.... i believe I saw here some instructions on this forum on how to set all of that locally up on your system.
    (POSSIBLY the easiest will be to install the zend community edition: http://www.zend.com/products/server-ce/ for the first bit) (endless discussion on "the best")
    d. install and configure WordPress LOCALLY (on your system) (play with it) and create your site the way you like it
    e. start up your php development environment
    f. create 1 new project for your new child theme
    g. create 1 new project based on the existing code of the commerce plugin
    h. make your customization and test it on localhost

... 2 months later ...

i. only THEN look for decent webhosting + mailhosting + dns hosting or all three in one
    looking at your demands: don't pay more than $10 a month get one that is well known at least
    j. upload your site to your webhoster
    k. your are done

Member #
    you make it sound like rocket science, my goal is to clarify, make a page that has a book to be sold a little description and the button to buy, is it really necessary for all this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads