Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Hi,

A wordpress-based site of mine is suddenly acting weird.

Description
    Everytime I activate a plugin or update a post, I get a blank screen. Despite the blank screen, the plugin does actually activate or the post actually does update. I'm certain this has nothing to do with memory, because I've disabled all plugins and this still happens. All google searches of this problem suggest an issue with plugins/memory, so that's why I'm asking here now. There is no problem in the front end or on loading.

Debug
    When I turn on debug define('WP_DEBUG', true); , I get a bunch of php notices and a couple of warnings about headers sent, but nothing serious enough to warrant this blank screen. No error messages whatsoever

What I did before this
    I didn't do anything serious. I just added some plugins, removed some plugins, added a function... and that's it.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thankfully the site runs okay, but I would like to figure this out for my own peace of mind that something isn't critically wrong or there isn't malware stuck somewhere in my php.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    WHOOOOPS!

I just found my mistake.

In my functions.php file, I had a ?> at the bottom of my file leftover from mixing html and php print. This one thing caused me about an hour or two of confusion and so many problems. Just 2 characters. Yikes.

-R

Member #
    Yes, this is a recurring question on the wp forums.

There is a plugin in the WordPress plugin directory that cleans alll ?> at the bottom of php scripts.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista, post: 245908
    Hi,

A wordpress-based site of mine is suddenly acting weird.

Description
    Everytime I activate a plugin or update a post, I get a blank screen. Despite the blank screen, the plugin does actually activate or the post actually does update. I'm certain this has nothing to do with memory, because I've disabled all plugins and this still happens. All google searches of this problem suggest an issue with plugins/memory, so that's why I'm asking here now. There is no problem in the front end or on loading.

Debug
    When I turn on debug define('WP_DEBUG', true); , I get a bunch of php notices and a couple of warnings about headers sent, but nothing serious enough to warrant this blank screen. No error messages whatsoever

What I did before this
    I didn't do anything serious. I just added some plugins, removed some plugins, added a function... and that's it. (My bold. AlphaMare)

Any insight would be appreciated. Thankfully the site runs okay, but I would like to figure this out for my own peace of mind that something isn't critically wrong or there isn't malware stuck somewhere in my php.

-R
    I know it's a bit late replying, but I just now saw your post.

The part of your question above that I have bolded is what I want to address. You say you've done nothing serious - but you need to understand that everything in your list can have a very serious effect on how WP runs.

It's not really clear from what you've said whether you actually removed the plugins or just deactivated them. If you deactivate a plugin and yet don't delete it, there can be all kinds of conflicts with future plugins. Many plugins write instructions to load jQuery or some other CDN into the <head> of the header.php file. Deactivating the plugin does not remove this, and if another plugin writes it again, you can have a real problem (very often this is the cuase of the "headers sent " warnings).

Where did you add your function? If you wrote it right into the functions.php file (in other words, you altered the core code), your site will likely break when WP is updated. If you are going to add custom functions, the way to do it is in a child theme. That will not alter the core code and so will not break when WP is updated.

It sounds like you've got your site running now - but bear these tips in mind if you come across the same issues in the future.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 246851
    I know it's a bit late replying, but I just now saw your post.

The part of your question above that I have bolded is what I want to address. You say you've done nothing serious - but you need to understand that everything in your list can have a very serious effect on how WP runs.

It's not really clear from what you've said whether you actually removed the plugins or just deactivated them. If you deactivate a plugin and yet don't delete it, there can be all kinds of conflicts with future plugins. Many plugins write instructions to load jQuery or some other CDN into the <head> of the header.php file. Deactivating the plugin does not remove this, and if another plugin writes it again, you can have a real problem (very often this is the cuase of the "headers sent " warnings).

Where did you add your function? If you wrote it right into the functions.php file (in other words, you altered the core code), your site will likely break when WP is updated. If you are going to add custom functions, the way to do it is in a child theme. That will not alter the core code and so will not break when WP is updated.

It sounds like you've got your site running now - but bear these tips in mind if you come across the same issues in the future.
    Thanks for the tips Alphamare. Fortunately for me, in that case, my functions.php was already in the child theme folder. And fortunately for me, it was just a dumb ?> that messed me up. But yes, I know how scary things can get with such a complex engine like WP. I remember migrating a website from a test server to the actual once. Ended up breaking the ENTIRE admin section, as in, nothing could be updated. Had to try all sorts of things... serialization corrections, database checks, and a bunch of other crap, and even emailing the author of the theme I used. In the end, a Wordpress update cleaned everything up for me. So lucky... cause I was just about to resort to Plan B: creating a fresh WP install, re-installing my theme, and uploading all images and pasting all content again.

-R

Remove Ads