Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am a little concerned...

We are building a dating site and have outsourced to india and their ratings were really good but they are taking forever to code something that I think is really simple. Our site runs off php and mysql. So my question is:

1. How long does it take to code an image resize? For example, if a user uploads a 4 mb file, the image resizes itself to 12 kb. Its taking our guy 3 hours.

2. How long does it take to code correct time zones? For example, user A sends a message from california to user B in Georgia, and the timing of when the message was sent and recieved is correctly reflected for each user's time zone.

Does this kind of stuff take a long time?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You should be concerned...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unless they are re-creating the wheel in their spare time ...

Both examples of what you have take about 5 minutes for a knowledgeable developer... Actually the time zone thing ... All messages are entered into the DB as GMT or server time... Then the displayed is adjusted to user based on their time zone they selected for the profile...

I do this stuff with asp but I suspect PHP is similar... I believe I read somewhere that PHP has a builtin resize function ( not completely sure of that though ).

Sorry

Member #
    Thanks for the response...it seems that your obviously a more experienced designer, but how would a user with 1 or 2 years of experience after getting a degree in web design fare in this kind of task?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    This is not a design thing, this is a developer thing. I have no idea what they are teaching in web design, but the designers I know are more focused on colors, layouts, usability, etc.

Developers tend to work more on functionality and the things you mentioned.

It's more of a logic thing, than a look thing.

I don't know what else I can say, but you are experiencing one of the biggest issues with outsourcing that people and companies have been dealing with since the 80's when outsourcing became a big business for India.

The company I worked for at the time outsourced 80% of their work, because their parent company told them too. Sure they were cheaper than US based or hiring a local developer, but more times than not, it would take 3-5 times as much TIME to accomplish the same things or more, either because they just didn't know what they were doing ( we were paying them to learn ), or there was a lack of understanding of what were were wanting, or both.

After doing several cost benefit analysis, and presenting them to my bosses, I was able to basically say, either bring my projects back onshore, or I'm leaving. It was getting ridiculous that it was taking months to do a project that should take days or weeks at best. And that was done with ME LEARNING ... I figured, if they were gonna pay someone to learn how to develop, and write server side code, it might as well be me.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    The timezone thing depends on how your database is set-up and how the script writes the timestamp.

1) When the message is written to the database, does the server put it's own timestamp in it? If so, the time is from where the server is located. That's OK, because when any person in the world runs the script, it can be told to convert all dates and times to the user's timezone (relative to the server).

2) If the message is written to the database AFTER the time was already converted, that becomes a different issue.

Either method is possible, there is no "correct" way to do it. The point is, all timestamps in the database need to be written the same way ... server's timezone or user's timezone. In your case, I would go with server's timezone because you're dealing with many people from many timezones.

Example,
    Let's say the server is located in New York (eastern time) ...
    I live in Minnesota (central time) and I send a message to Jane Doe in (pacific time). The timestamp that gets written to my message is actually the server's time (eastern time). The database only contains timestamps written in 'eastern time'.

Server time: 14:15:00
    My time: 13:15:00
    Jane Doe time: 11:15:00

The message I sent is timestamped 14:15:00 in the database.

When Jane Doe views the message at 18:30:00, she will see that the message was written at: 11:15:00.
    When I view the message at 18:30:00, I will see that I sent the message at: 13:15:00.
    The times we see are relative to where we live.

We are both running the same PHP script, but when the script executes for each of us, it knows what timezone we live in ... because that is part of our user profile when we log in.

When the user logs in, PHP sets the timezone for that user:

This is what it sets for me ....
    date_default_timezone_set('America/Chicago');

This is what it sets for Jane Doe ....
    date_default_timezone_set('America/Los_Angeles');

The PHP script automatically converts all timestamps from the database to the correct timezone specified.

Confusing, I know ...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I started just using GMT years ago for this.... No one seems to care about server time but me... So GMT... The the offest I'd based on the user... When the message was written is always GMT and their offset... Everyone's time is relative to them...

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    That's a good way. The point is to use one timezone for all database timestamps.

Does anyone remember this?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Internet_Time
    There are no timezones. "Dude, don't mess with my head." :frantic:

Remove Ads