Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have an idea to add SMS functionality to a PHP website. The idea I may use is to have an HTML form, that allows the website visitor to enter a phone number and the message text. This HTML form can be submitted by clicking on a button. After submitting the form variables will be processed by a PHP script. This PHP script will post the SMS message to the an OzekiSMS Gateway (it will send and receive messages, I was suggested to use this). ozekisms.com/index.php?owpn=204
    HTML Form will be used to get the recipient telephone number and the message text from the website visitors. Source of the html file:

sendsms.html

Code:
    <html>
    <body>
      <h1>My SMS form</h1>
      <form method=post action='sendsms.php'>
      <table border=0>
      <tr>
        <td>Recipient</td>
        <td><input type='text' name='recipient'></td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
        <td>Message</td>
        <td><textarea rows=4 cols=40 name='message'></textarea></td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
        <td> </td>
        <td><input type=submit name=submit value=Send></td>
      </tr>
      </table>
      </form>
    </body>
    </html>
    The php script will get the recipient, message fields from the HTML form and will build a URL to send the SMS message. This URL will pass the SMS message to the OzekiSMS gateway. The URL is invoked in the PHP script using the file command.

Do you think it is an easy way to do it or do you have any other idea?
    Leslie
    [SIZE=11px]
    [/SIZE]

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If it's an SMS message to a real phone instead of a virtual phone ( Ie. google voice ), there is a actually a carrier specific fomat to use that can actually work.

Meaning, no gateway needed, all SMS systems have a SMS to smtp ( email ) gateway in place... So you can actually send an email directly to a phone via SMS.

If you are thinking of doing this as a one-off, personal use thing... It would be easier to just do a little research, get the carrier specific formats and set it up and go...

Here's the catch to all of this... Even using a gateway... SMS messaging using anything other than a phone is one way only... No actual way ( unless something new has come out lately ), to receive messages back from the phone over SMS .... If you're using email... Most carriers allow responses back over their SMS to smtp gateway... But SMS to a web address ? No seeing it...

Perhaps that gateway you mentioned has that ability... Don't know, don't see the need.

And then there is the virtual phone number SMS ... I use google voice for SMS between several people, but none have yet been able to find or decode the carrier specific string needed ( since it will only accept a number to send with ) although I know they have a SMS to smtp gateway... But I think they use rolling mappings... To keep people from "blast marketing", over SMS.

Remove Ads