Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi everyone, I am wanting to build a datbase and my host...one.com...supports phpmyadmin and from what I can tell MySQL...I dont know anything about building a database so was wondering if someone may be able to help, either by pointing me to a lesson, or another way...I need to build a database which lets people join, creates them a profile page which shows their informationsuch as pictures, videos etc, but not all of the information entered in the original form, ie contact number, address, email etc etc...Hope someone can help.....Big thanks to anyone who replies...

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    What you're looking for would be a rather elaborate CMS (content management system). To build a custom one from scratch is going to take a programmer a lot of time. It has to be efficient, secure, and require both user interfaces and admin interfaces.

So, I would say you're going to want to use WordPress. You'll find a WordPress theme and customize it. Again, it will still require PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS, JQuery knowledge, but the background programming is already done for you.

Another thought is an existing social network system you can use like these:
    http://www.boonex.com/
    http://www.oxwall.org/

I think Boonex/Dolphin is very popular.
    I'm not experience with them ... but have used WordPress for many websites.

You need to explain what your project will be about. I'm thinking you'll have to hire someone.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Wow....sounds quite drawn out, what about if I ask for the info via the input fields, then just create each page as I go....it is for a model website......

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    If you are into Wordpress I suggest you have a look at gravity forms. I believe it will do everything you are asking for. In other words use Wordpress as the database management system and Gravity forms as the data entry front end.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Alan ... it's not as easy as you think it is.

Will your site be private (like family and friends only), or can anyone use it?
    Big difference ... merely in the security involved. Anything even remotely public,
    where people can see your site will result in hundreds of spammers, possibly hackers,
    and people just being malicious. The internet is sort of going into a period of total
    "suckness".

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Your original post was for a DB, now you're talking a model site... Model as in model cars ? Or model as in model home ? Big difference..

Again, the more info you share, the easier and closer the guesses are going to be, but they will all be guesses.

Seriously, when I'm planning out a DB system for anything, I have to do wireframes to determine all the forms and data that I'm going to need, and I always miss something so I always add a few extra fields on each table for just in case. And I've been doing this a long time... So its gonna be extremely difficult for anyone to tell you exactly what would be the best

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I am sorry for being so vague, I want to create a website for event promotion and modelling and I would like people ( prospective models ) to be able to join through submitting their data via a form and submitting photos and videos of previous work and shoots to enhance their chance of being booked. Each model will have a profile page. But I dont want all of their info that is submitted to be shown. So instead of all this programming, of which I know nothing I was wondering if it would be easier to create a form where they can submit their information and I just create each page using their info as I go......thak you for all your replies....security, never though about that, how do I keep the information they enter safe, but first can someone tell me how I even start doing this database, my host has phpmyadmin, but how do I get that onto my site ?....Bamboozled here...!!!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Alan ...
    Your ambition and drive is to be admired.

There is no "easy" way to accomplish your goal. At this point, you're basically asking people to email you their info, and you'll create the HTML page for each one. That's what it means when you say " they can submit their information and I just create each page using their info as I go".

The real solution is to have an actual CMS (content management system) that is automated to the point where you don't have to do much, other than some administrative duties. That of course is where PHP and MySQL come into the picture.

Where the real deal is going to be, is the part about privacy and sensitive information. So your models are uploading information, and somewhere along the line, somebody has to see their profile. Are there particular agencies that will have permission? Who gets to see the data, and how much do they get to see? What are the ages of the models (adult or minors)?

Next ...

So let's say that you have your whole website up and running. Do you get paid for anything? Why can't an agent contact the model behind your back? Or, are you an agent and this is your website? What will your website do that other sites are not already doing? Why do you need the website?

Give us an example of how your site is supposed to work. Who is going to use it? and why will they use it? What kind of budget do you have for promoting your website? Do you have any money to hire a professional programmer?

The goal is to create something (or invent something) where there is a need. To create or invent something to make peoples' lives easier. If your website already exists somewhere else, what is your goal and purpose? Things to think about.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Php admin is just a DB manager, its used to create the actual tables, schemas, etc.

It's the server side language ( PHP or asp or asp.net ) that you will use in conjunction with forms to add / edit / delete and view the information in the DB.

Most decent hosting providers that off DB support have some basic tutorials and examples on how to create the connection strings and basic view stuff.

Any myphp admin control panel I've ever used is also tied directly into the support site and help section of MySQL.

Since there are hundreds of possible ways to connect to and handle data with PHP ( if that is the server side language you're using ), your best bet on advice to setup stuff is going to be with your hosting provider.

#1. You'll need to know your server side language you're dealing with. If you're on a Linux web hosting package, then you'll be using PHP. If you're on a windows hosting package, you probably can use PHP, but you'll also have access to asp and asp.net. Both of those only run on windows servers.

Depending on your hosting provider and their control panel, the you'll actually create the main DB from the control panel, you'll need to normally setup the DB name and password from there, then from the control panel, you'll login to myphp admin and create the tables... Columns etc.

As mentioned previously, I normally do wireframes ( page mockups), to determine all the data I want to collect, so I know how to setup the tables... What to name the columns and how to define each column.

There is no "silver bullet" way of doing this... As working with a DB and data is at a level that many starting out web designers don't attempt as its more of a developer function than a design function.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Webzarus .. great timing.

I discussed the website content, and you discussed the database portion. Between these two posts, I think we'll help Alan figure out what direction to go. Hopefully, Alan will realize that what he's doing might be a good project to work on, but that he'll need programming help. We've given him some things to ponder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads