Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey Guys
    I am a web designer on a hard(very, very hard) quest to make a similar site to Amazon/ebay.

I have been looking it up and i realise how hard it is going to be, but one way or another i have to do it.
    I will be making it using PHP, MySQL. I am pretty good with HTML and CSS. I have little experience with PHP.

Right now i am reading and applying methods from - Build Your Own Database Driven Web Site Using PHP & MySQL
    I aim to make an ecommerce site first and then carry on with that.

I am not expecting all of my answers from one source.
    However, i am willing to bring all the bits and pieces together and make this happen.

I need all the help i can get! Thanks!!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Is this for a class or homework/project assignment?
    Is the goal to make something like Amazon/Ebay to complete the assignment, but not really be a real website?

I guess I'm really asking "why" would you spend time creating something like that?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    What he said...

Here's the deal, It's more than just code, many beginning or aspiring web designers/developers look at someone's source code ( right click, view source ), and think to themselves, I can do that.

What you see when you do that, is the "output" from the server... It's code that any browser can read and display... What goes into creating that code ? On the 2 sites you mentioned, about 15 years of online experince and several hundred very talented web designers, hundreds of servers, thousands of lines of code that generate what you get to see.

These companies have million dollar+ development budgets, millions invested in hardware infrastructure so what you get to see loads quickly from anywhere in the world... Not to mention the several millions invested in security and merchant account services. Backed by armies of people that enter data for products, test and make sure every product is entered correctly, and then there's the warehouse part of it.

These 2 systems are completely different and have 2 different business strategies and business models.

Hope you got tons of money and time, to create something that will even remotely resemble and function like the 2 above, you're gonna be a very busy person for the next 2-3 years, just to get it setup.

Of course there are tons of "clone" scripts that people make... But I've heard of people losing thousands of dollars trying to get one setup, only to find they don't have a clue on how to get visitors.

Ultimately in the end, no matter how much time and money, if you don't so something to make you stand out from the crowd, or offer something unique that people will get some benefit from.

Just putting a web site up doesn't mean you magically start getting tons of visitors wanting to do business with you.

It's NOT the field of dreams... Build it... Maybe, just maybe, if you market it right, and offer them something, they will come... Just maybe.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Somehow I'm picturing him taking a college course and the instructor says ... "create a site where people can bid on an item and purchase it". Sort of like an assignment to cover several aspects of scripting at the same time. But the actual assignment only has to work with like 2 or 3 items and 2 people bidding on it. Just a simple example of PHP/MySQL/JQuery working together.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what his intentions are, or the purpose of it.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Yeah, I tend to be a little jaded when I see post like this one. Not just on this forum, but pretty much anywhere aspiring web designers can post, I always see... "I want to do this, can someone point me in the right direction", and 99 times out of 100, they ask for guidance about something like this.

I have a marketing intern that recently decided she wanted my job, started making all kinds of request for changes, suggestions, etc, always offering to "assist in any way I can"... the last 3 have been request, but she went a little farther by posting HTML code she "copied" from the source code showing where the changes needed to be made.

I made a directory on the local file server, copied over all 4000 files of the main site, made it where only she and I could see the pages. Setup a Test Web Server. then sent the list, told her where the files were, gave her a copy of notepad++, told her to modify any files she wanted changed, anyway she wanted, put them on the test server, and once they work properly and she has them just the way she wants them, let me know and I'll upload them.

after she picked her jaw off the floor, she meekly asked... "what are all the files with .asp on them"... I told her ASP is what generates the code for the site, see what you can do with it.

haven't had any more request in 2 weeks, and she touched only that 2 files on the directory I setup for her and has not uploaded anything to the test server.

Classic case of "be careful what you wish for"....

but the bigger lesson is, on a web site, what the browser see's and shows visitors is the output ( the simple stuff ), without understanding that, you cannot appreciate a developer or designer.

Remove Ads