Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,

A partner webhost of mine has an SSL generator form page that registers the customer's SSL CSR code and domain with our SSL provider.

My parter's form source is as follows:

HTML Code:
    <form enctype="multipart/form-data" id="ext-gen96" method="POST" class="x-panel-body x-panel-body-noheader x-panel-body-noborder x-form" style="padding: 10px 10px 4px; height: auto; width: 798px;">

<p style="margin-bottom: 8px;">
            Please enter the hostname you'd like an SSL Certificate for. This is often referred to as the Common Name or  CN of the certificate. For example, if you want your secure URL to be <u>https://secure.example.com/</u>, enter secure.example.com.
        </p>
            <label class="x-form-item-label" style="width:auto;" for="ssl_commonName" id="ext-gen119">Domain Name:&nbsp;</label>
            <input type="text" name="ssl_commonName" id="ssl_commonName" autocomplete="off" size="150" value="" class=" x-form-text x-form-field" style="width: 570px;">
        <p style="margin-bottom: 8px; margin-top: 15px;">
        Please paste in your certificate request below (CSR).<br><br>The CSR can be generated using the "Generate a SSL Certificate and Signing Request" link within WHM. Please make sure you keep a copy of the RSA key, this may be required during installation.<br><br><b>Paste your CSR into the textarea below:</b>
        </p>
            <label class="x-form-item-label" style="width:auto;" for="csrtxtarea" id="ext-gen124">CSR:&nbsp;</label>
            <textarea name="csrtxtarea" id="csrtxtarea" autocomplete="off" style="width: 670px; height: 60px;" class=" x-form-textarea x-form-field"></textarea>
            <input type="hidden" name="form_key" value="0fd23b1d51d349a56f66fa32d1fc1217"/>
    <p align="center"><br /><em unselectable="on" class=""><button type="submit" id="ext-gen113" class=" x-btn-text">Create SSL certificate</button></em></p>
    </form>
    I have created my own page and want my customers to be able to use this form from MY WEBSITE and have it post directly to my partners form. This way it's totally whitelisted and my customers don't have to navigate away from my website.

Would appreciate ANY help I can get and would definitely be willing to buy a few beers for whoever can lend a hand!

Cheers!
    -Chris

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    SSL cannot transverse domains, unless its a wildcard cert, and typically both domains are on the same physical server. Or at least in the same domain forest.

Some hosting companies offer a "generic" cert that all domains registered on the name servers can use, but again, they are all in the same domain forest.

The purpose of a certificate is to verify ownership and trust of a server to "encrypt" the transaction data. If you try to send a form from a non-SSL domain that doesn't use the same cert key, the encryption is going to fail.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I agree, it can't be done. That's sort of the whole point of SSL. It is secure. Your customers would need to be directed to his website and use his forms. Basically it's the same thing that happens when your site uses PayPals (SIM) Simple Integration Mode.

Find out about paying for SSL, it might not be as expensive as you think.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim, post: 249471
    I agree, it can't be done. That's sort of the whole point of SSL. It is secure. Your customers would need to be directed to his website and use his forms. Basically it's the same thing that happens when your site uses PayPals (SIM) Simple Integration Mode.

Find out about paying for SSL, it might not be as expensive as you think.
    I already have a 128bit SSL....So does he. We both do. In fact we both use the same SSL provider for our customers. But it's his account with the SSL company. This isn't an SSL purchase or anything...just a generator that submits the info off to the SSL company for review.

We host on the same server as well.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If the certs are not exactly the same key ( same cert ), the algorithm of "encryption" is not the same, so passing encrypted information between domains ( even if just form data ), will not be able to be read between the domains. That's what SSL is and does.

If what you want to do is have your friends domain process request for you...

Setup a subdomain and subfolder, that looks like your site, links back to your site, etc... Basically impersonating your site on his server, except all the links on that page, take users back to yours...

Most people don't even realize they've been moved to another site, because they don't look at the URL.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I would email your SSL provider and ask the question.
    Maybe they deal with this on other accounts? Worth asking them, because speaking for myself, I'm not an expert on this.

Remove Ads