Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Numerous questions here...

First off,,, I am just discovering these portals so I dont know which one is best....does anyone have a favorite and why? (my host offers phpnuke, postnuke, & xoops)....

2. I tried phpnuke for quite awhile and could not change the colors, do I have full access to do this or do I have to pay for something???? ( I know it can be done , Ive seen other sites )

3. I run a site for political news, patriotic quotes and stories, & user submitted articles,,,,, this does sound like a pretty good candidate for a portal like this doesnt it?

very appreciative!
    tvance
    www.patriotreview.com

Member #
    I did a quick trial of PHP Nuke, Post Nuke and Xoops some time back. Xoops was the only one that installed without a hitch. It's the latest incarnation and object orientated, so the code is probably more 'sorted'.

Trouble is they are all slow. So I couldn't recommend any.

Member #
    well that stinks, I was really liking it and thinking it would improve the site.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    It does sound like a good canadate. I'd check around for CMS.. there's more than those 3 and I'm sure your host offers support for them, just not so easy installation as those are. I don't have any experience with them as I'd rather code my own CMS accordikng to the design of the site... seems easier than editing designs of CMS's to me. But that depends on your coding experience.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    post nuke looks the best, I am trying it out now. It seems cleaner than the other two, I just dont understand what I will need to know to go further with this project.

I would hate to get about half way into it and realize it is too much over my head (or too much time learning commitment) for me.

Can anyone tell me what I will need if I use one of the 3 that are automatically installed for me? I definetely want to be able to change the color scheme to my current site and input all the news, but thats about it.

right now at least.

thanks
    tv

Member #
    In PostNuke, you should be able to change the colors simply via the CSS files. PHPNuke also has CCS files in the themes/includes/ folder, although I have found that some color codes are still hard coded in the PHP and cause problems.

Creating themes for either Nuke is a very daunting task. I've done three so far and I still feel like a rookie. There have been some GUI theme control programs posted over at PHPNuke.org, but you will need to understand how to install the programs. I can't tell you anything about them because I have never used them.

You site has a similiar layout to Nuke and could be converted with a little effort, but it will require a commitment from you. If you don't want to do it, I'm sure there are people who would be willing to do it for a small fee.

You are entering a world that is completely different from HTML. It takes patience and an excitment for learning to truely appreciate it.

I wish you luck,
    Chance S.
    OTTN, LLC
    Online Think Tank Network
    Affordable, Quality Web Hosting

Remove Ads