Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Question how can i add a sidebar within wordpress

ok so im a bit lost when it comes to adding my sidebar...

in fact the best ive managed is to see the sidebar in widgets but when i add something say catagories by dragging it into the bar and giving it a title. All seems well until, you view the actual page and nothing is displayed under catagories. In fact if i drag anything over nothing displays underneith.

any help please..
    Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you're gonna die 2morrow!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    It all depends on the WordPress theme. Does the wp theme you are using have a place for a sidebar? Is there a column on the left or right? What wp are you using, and can you show us a link to the website?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    firstly, its a custom theme ive made.. so im starting from scratch...

when i go onto themes and widgets the sidebar appears but nothing appears within the sidebar on my actual page. in fact all that happens is the title is displayed and thats all lol

i need a good guide to set one up from start to finish..

cheers again mlseim

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    oh and i havent got the site online its on xamp for now

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You have to actually specify the insertion of the sidebar within your theme .. for example, you have a PHP include in your "page.php" script that tells it to insert the sidebar in a specific location.

Also, since you'll have a sidebar, the CSS layout will have a 'center' or 'main' content area, and then the 'sidebar' area. These are <div> sections you create in your CSS file and specify the widths of them and the float left or float right, etc. Everything about your wordpress site, layout, features is going to be the files in your theme directory. The admin part only deals with the 'parent' wordpress features and any plug-ins you may be using.

I suggest you find an existing theme that is fairly close to what you like (in terms of layout, sidebars, content area, navigation, etc). Copy that theme to your own and customize the heck out of it. Most of the layout issues will already be resolved, and it will already have the sidebar areas in-place.

Remove Ads