Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: sessions

Member #
    Have I got this right about what I should expect from a session on a php/apache server? After opening a session it should last about 24 minutes with the default setting and no new page activity (calling session_start()). Otherwise with new page activity it should last practically indefinitely.

I'm asking because I'm seriously thinking of migrating to another host because of erratic session times. That is they are timing out earlier than I would like. Sometimes after a few minutes sometimes managing 20 minutes but never more, even with page activity.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As far as I'm aware what you've said is correct - it should be around 20 minutes inactivity.

You could use a cookie instead. It's a bit more secure and you can set your own timeout. It might be easier to implement than changing host.

Member #
    Yeah using cookies may be more secure but s'pose the user doesn't have cookies enabled? More reliable using sessions and easier to manipulate in my opinion. :classic:
    ----------------------------------------
    http://www.timothymerchant.co.uk

Member #
    Sessions use cookies by default to store the id. I think mossoi was referring to cookies storing the variables like username. I wonder if there is a downside to this though.

This problem occurred when the hosts 'upgraded' the PHP to version 4.2. Someone on another forum said in passing that the problem was related to register_globals being on in v4.2. Sounds unlikely to me, but has anybody else heard of anything similar?

Member #
    well sessions storing cookies to hold ID's is different because after the session is over the cookie is no longer needed. The downside to cookies is security becasue storing sensitive information like logins and passwords could be dangerous. Also sessions are easier and quicker to use and you can destroy them as soon as they are no longer needed where as cookies are still there when not been used which clogs up space.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You could use the cookie to hold just the username and login confirmation (and what ever else you need) there should be no need to store the password in a cookie.

Member #
    true and I they are encrypted so supose it wouldnt matter too much.

Member #
    if you use passwords in cookies though, you should make the passwords in the database or whatever be passed through the MD5 function
    then for the login, to check if the login info is correct, just MD5 the password the user inputted, and then make the password cookie MD5ed aswell
    Download Firebird now!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Best to keep the password out of the cookie altogether though.

If you do it right the password is downloaded only once and is never stored. All you need to do is verify the password and then tell the cookie that the password was verified.

Remove Ads