Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: editing php

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Red face editing php

Good day everybody.

First of all I am not a designer.

I have a website with php index file. I need to modify some contents, I tried using web expression, I got only codes, I believe it refers to css codes.

I can manage html using web expression.

I need help if there is a way or other to finish my job.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks and regards.

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    You can edit PHP scripts by downloading them from the website to your PC (using FTP, and free software like FileZilla). Once you edit the PHP scripts, you need to upload them back again to test them. You can't execute PHP on your PC unless it's an actual webhost server that you run locally at home.

If you want, private message me with more information. If you have access to the website account (control panel), another PHP script could be written that allows anyone (with a password) to make changes to the content on your page(s).

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks mlseim.

I already d/led full website, problem I have is to know how to edit php files. I know how to d/l and u/l using ftp.

Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    You can edit PHP scripts by downloading them from the website to your PC (using FTP, and free software like FileZilla). Once you edit the PHP scripts, you need to upload them back again to test them. You can't execute PHP on your PC unless it's an actual webhost server that you run locally at home.

If you want, private message me with more information. If you have access to the website account (control panel), another PHP script could be written that allows anyone (with a password) to make changes to the content on your page(s).

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    You edit them using plain old Microsoft Notepad .... or better yet, download the free Notepad++ Home

Notepad++ highlights opening and closing tags, as well as numbering lines for easy troubleshooting and reference. Color coding of PHP commands is also nice.

If you get stuck on PHP or not knowing what to change (or reprogram), list your "index.php" script here. If the script has any password info in it, xxxx that out before you post it here.
    Last edited by mlseim; Nov 15th, 2013 at 11:25 AM.

Member #
    You can edit a PHP file by simply using notepad. If you do have Dreamweaver then it may become a bit easier since it has code completion.
    Do no double click on the index.php file. Simply open it in your desired editor; be it notepad or Dreamweaver.
    As to what to change; it really depends on your requirement. However it is unlikely that you will find what you are looking for in the index.php file or any other PHP file for that matter. It is possible that you may need to change it from an admin section of some sort (database).

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Notepad++ and Sublime Text are two free programs recommended for editing PHP.

Remove Ads