Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    544 times

Appointment book/testimonials?

So im just getting into web design.. Just finished my 1st class (got a 95%!!) the guy i made a site for as my final likes his site.. He knows im very new to this and was asking me if id be able to make him a page that people can go to and leave Testimonials of his work(hes a tattoo artist) he wants a page where people can go to and leave a "small" message saying who they are and how they liked him, this seems like it would be pretty easy to do with php from what ive learned(almost nothing) but im not sure how to begin? My thinking is id create a form and instead of emailing the info to the site id have to have it added to the page?

One of the requirements for the class was to create a form.. I made a simple appointment form for the class that i thought id just remove once i gave it to him. He likes the idea of the form but wanted a way to somehow sync it with a calendar so he could display the times available and what not.. Is this possible? And if so how difficult to be done? Does it require a custom code or is there an extension/plug in i can use/buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    You mention plugin ... how did you create the website? Did you use WordPress?

If you made a custom site using Dreamweaver or coded by hand, you won't have a plugin. You'll have to code by hand.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    You mention plugin ... how did you create the website? Did you use WordPress?

If you made a custom site using Dreamweaver or coded by hand, you won't have a plugin. You'll have to code by hand.
    Yes i used dreamweaver.. And i called it a plugin because when i went to jqueryui.com and click on "plugins" i was able to find a photo gallery i could use.. Not really sure what else to call it? But your right all it was was the code already written up and just given out free on the web..

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    ...................................make him a page that people can go to and leave Testimonials of his work(hes a tattoo artist) he wants a page where people can go to and leave a "small" message saying who they are and how they liked him, ............................................
    You can use the Guestbook script found here Free php and perl script page
    Chris, Developer, Chrisranjana.com
    Software developers,
    Php and RoR programmers,
    http://www.chrisranjana.com

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    One problem you're going to have is requiring the testimonials to be moderated. You just can't let anyone post something and it appears on the website. You'll never know what kinds of things will get posted. So maybe it's easier to have customers email them and they can post the testimonials themselves?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Yea this is what i was thinking ppl called plugins in the web design world? Im extremely new and inexperienced with all this but after taking a dreamweaver class i have become really intrigued with it all

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    You'll need to use PHP and maybe MySQLi for a database. This is all "server-side" scripting, so Dreamweaver won't do you much good other than using the plain text editor to type your scripts.

It sounds like your first class didn't teach much about scripting.

You'll have to learn it by finding online tutorials via Google. This isn't something we can teach. Providing script examples won't help you either unless you know how to actually do PHP scripting.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    One problem you're going to have is requiring the testimonials to be moderated. You just can't let anyone post something and it appears on the website. You'll never know what kinds of things will get posted. So maybe it's easier to have customers email them and they can post the testimonials themselves?
    i just noticed you wrote this part here...that sounds like a great solution until i can learn a lot more about scripting..and yea your right this class was all dreamweaver..the only reason i really learned any code is because i followed along in split view..and started to pick up things..as well as a little online research. Whats everyones opinion on CodeAcademy? Im pretty confident in my ability to learn coding..i don't want to say its "easy" because i know it is not.. but from what i learned on my own i think i am starting to understand how things work i just need to learn more on what i can do and what not.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Ok so i spoke with him and he does not want to do it the easy way.. He said it can be extremely basic but he wants it on there so ppl can upload it all them selves.. I brought up monitoring it and being able to moderate it.. But his words exactly are "ill have more ppl saying good things than bad about me"

Looks like ill need to find a XML based guest book because i do not know much about mysql but i know i cant afford it

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    Wow ... he's an amazing optimist. You're right, you'll have to find an easy XML or plain-text guestbook to work with. You'll also have to have a way for the tattoo artist to remove any offensive posts. Hopefully his website doesn't get much traffic, because if it does, spammers will be all over it. No amount of captcha will stop human spammers from posting their crap. It's sad that spammers have taken over the internet, but it is what it is.

I'm really curious now to see what his website is. Can you post the URL (without the "http://www")? Maybe I can offer some ideas on how to approach the guestbook pertaining to the location of it on the site. That might be a way to lessen the amount of spam.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads