Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Suppose I a have a small script somewhere on my site that accesses the database. I have it laid out as such:

/myscript/script.php
    /myscript/* (other files)
    /myscript/config/scriptconfig.php

What do I need to do to protect the scriptconfig.php file from prying eyes (or browsers)? If I browse directly to that directory, I can see the scriptconfig.php file with my browser, but can't retrieve the code. Still, it seems rather unsecure.

What are the correct chmod settings and .htaccess setup(s) for such a system?

Thanks!
    futureal@rctech.net | R/C Tech

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    1. Make sure that all the contents of config file are surrounded by <? and ?>

2. You could put a referer check or a global variable check to see if the file was accessed from one of your files or directly.

e.g. in your script.php, before you include the config file:
    PHP Code:
    define('GOOD'true); 
    and in scriptconfig.php:
    PHP Code:
    if (!defined('GOOD')) {

header('Location: http://www.yoursite.com/script.php');
       exit;

3. place a " .htaccess " file in the config folder ( if you are running apache) with the following line:
    Code:
    Options -Indexes
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Also, if you don't want people prying into that folder, palce an index.html file there.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    #3 in my list takes care of that.
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    meh.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    If you want to deny access to all files in the config/ directory, just put an .htaccess file there:
    Code:
    Deny from all

Member #
    If you create a folder outside your public web-root it won't be accessible from the outside, but you can still call it form within your pages.

i.e.
    If all your files are placed in public_html (Apache), just create a new folder at the same leve (side by side) with that folder and place your protected pages there. When required in your script, just call them with and absolute adress in your script. (<? include "/home/url/catalog" ?>)

An intruder would have to hack the server itself to gain access to this folder.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Thanks everybody for the comments.

rosland: I had been previously using something similar to that, but as I am now writing a few scripts that are meant for eventual distribution, I needed to include the config file in the same directory or a subdirectory, just to simplify the installation. Your idea works well, though.

nsr81: Thanks for the .htaccess tip, I was wondering which command to use for the indices. There are all sorts of places I need to add that to my site.
    futureal@rctech.net | R/C Tech

Remove Ads