Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Online "testing zone" for PHP

Are there any side-by-side split screen websites where I can write PHP code on the left side of screen then see the changes in rea-time on the right side of the screen? thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    728 times
    None that I know of .... well sort of ....

I always work on my scripts online, directly on the website (I don't have my own server).

I open FileZilla and use that to edit scripts (notepad++) and upload/download.
    At the same time, I have my website opened.
    I upload my change, and refresh my browser to see the changes.

PHP is server-side, so you have to do the refresh to see your change because it has to execute on the server.

Javascripting/JQuery is different. That's client side, so you can do exactly like you mentioned in your post.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Adobe Brackets is a text editor to build websites. It has a feature which allows you to see updated work on chrome. It doesnt work perfectly with PHP but it does essentially what mlseim mentioned without having to have a web hosting account. Id recommend getting a hosting account and doing it like he mentioned but that is the only other option that i know of.

When i work with php i do it through a hosting account but i have done it thru brackets when its a minor change. Not sure if major changes will work smoothly so thats why i recommend paying for hosting.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    nice, thank you!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you are feeling brave you can install Apache server, PHP and mysql (all free) on your PC... then open local host in your browser...

There are scripts which claim to do it in one... but I have always ended up doing it by hand...

This is particularly useful on a laptop when you are challenged by your connection... say developing code on a boring train commute or airplane... :-)

Or when you want to be ridiculously secure...

Also has the advantage that you can configure the server to do all kinds of things that shared hosting doesn't allow...
    Hagen Rose: hagen(at)jxwd(dot)co(dot)uk
    JX Web Development, Bournemouth, Dorset...JXWD.co.uk

Remove Ads