Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #

I would like to post to my website through email like Facebook does. But can't seem

I would like to post to my website through email like Facebook does. But can't seem to Google anything about what is needed to do it.

I've set up Google Calendar email notifications. I want my site to read these emails once a day and import the information as a "to do list"

I definitely want to use this way and not the API. Where do I start to look to learn this script?

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    Now you'll need a PHP script to read POP3 email accounts. Search Google for that. Then the messages need to be parsed ... more scripting. What does the subject line look like when Google calendar sends email notification?

Member #
    Ok now we are getting somewhere. I suppose parse is the correct word.

My goal is I want to make my own personal to do list from my Google Calendar events. Checkmark them as I do them and export the data as a table or excel sheet.

I'm looking at gathering as much info and doing this this myself or getting a quote. Any advice would be awesome.

I want my a private Web page to get information Google Calendar.

Take the events and show each individual event as a task on a to-do list with a check box in front of it.

Then when I place the checkmark it will enter the date as a variable into an imported Excel sheet. Example:

Each day, at the set time, Google Calendar will send out its notification on what is scheduled as due for that day.

The tasks will show up on my website as a to-do list with checkmark boxes.

As I complete the tasks, it will add the date to a pre-configured cell in an Excel sheet.

When it's time I can download this Excel sheet and have an Excel document that shows the tasks when they were scheduled and when they were actually completed.

It doesn't have to be in excel form just as long as when I print it it looks similar.

Is this what I'm looking for?
    PHP: Introduction - Manual
    These functions enable you to operate with the IMAP protocol, as well as the NNTP, POP3 and local mailbox access methods.

Member #
    Looks like all the information I need is in the subject line. Let me make a long one and see how it looks. Plus ill sdd more than one on the same day to see wwhat happens

Member #
    I suppose some critical questions would be be:

I use a shared host/server will it work on that?

I already have a phpBB forum on there can I use that database?

How much server-side access do I need to run these scripts?

Will I need to ask for any special privileges/ configurations from my hosting company.

I use an app called scanpet. It allows me to upload an excel file. It's can edit the configures of it and add data. Then it allows me to export the file. Would something like this be hard to do?

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    I have to figure out if the notification can go to ANY email address? Or does it always have to be an @gmail address?

I mention that because it's harder to access gmail messages than a typical webhost email. Google email accounts are on Google's servers and an API is required.

So I used a normal webhost email address of mine to create a google account. I'll see what happens with my email notification. You can use any email address to create a google account. I'll let you know what I find out ... if the notification shows up.

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    I learned some new things today ...
    The notifications go to the email address set-up on the Google account.
    But ... The gmail messages can be forwarded to another email (outside of Google).
    And with the gmail account, you can enable IMAP or POP3, but the server accessing it MUST be SSL (secure server).

So I am forwarding my Google gmail emails to my website/webhost email account. I will see tomorrow if my notifications arrive there. If they do, I already have a working PHP script to access my email account via POP3. So I can parse my emails that contain all Google Notifications.

I'll let you know Wed AM if the notifications arrived.

In the meantime, go to your gmail account that you use for the calendar notifications and click the 'gear' icon (settings). In the top horizontal menu click 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP' and forward your gmails to your webhost email address. See if your calendar notifications arrive there successfully.

If your webhost account is SSL, you could access your gmail directly using IMAP or POP3. That I cannot test because my webhost account is not SSL.
    If you get notifications in your webhost email account, let me know.

The PHP script I use requires some variables you will need to know (from your email server settings) ...

Example of what you'll need to know from your webhost email server ....
    'host' => '{carparts.ipop.com:110/pop3}INBOX',
    'username' => 'mark33@carparts.com',
    'password' => 'mypass2015'

So know what the POP3 server and port is.
    Know your email address
    Know your password.

We'll figure out now if we can view our notifications on a normal webhost account email address.
    Last edited by mlseim; Sep 22nd, 2015 at 12:46 PM.

Member #
    Wow thanks I'll get right on that when I get home. I really appreciate your help

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    Something else about Google Calendar ...

For "events" you can set a default notification to email. All events entered will automatically do the notification.

But for "tasks", you cannot set a default. So every task you enter needs to be given a notification. It won't email unless you do ... for each task you enter. That sucks. If you forget, you won't get the email.

Member #
    OK I've forwarded the emails.
    it says IMAP is enabled you want me to enable POP?
    I've enabled POP for mail that arrives from now on

ok my control panel says

Secure SSL/TLS Settings
    (Recommended)
    Username: *******
    Password: Use the email account’s password.
    Incoming Server: ***.****.***
    IMAP Port: 993
    POP3 Port: 995

Non-SSL Settings
    (This is NOT recommended.)

Username: *******
    Password: Use the email account’s password.
    Incoming Server: *****.******.***
    IMAP Port: 143
    POP3 Port: 110

I've changed the notification to 5pm so i should get them soon
    Last edited by 20GT; Sep 23rd, 2015 at 02:38 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads