Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Have a WordPress question - can't get help anywhere else

If you visit my homepage at Pro Freelance B2B, Tech, & Software Copywriter in Chicago, you'll notice the "even" sections, the 2nd and 4th slides, are blank white and you can't see anything. They're supposed to be images whose backgrounds stay fixed as you scroll down the page.

One issue I've run into before is I have things happening on my PC that no one else sees. So it could be they're working just fine, and I see it differently.

If that's not the case, what do you think would be the fix?

FYI - not a programmer here. But can do most fixes with simple guidance. Didn't get any help trying the Genesis help forums or the Wordpress forums.

Thanks for your help ahead of time,

Dan

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    Can you show us the demo page that has the background images working correctly?
    Like Genesis has a demo page we can see?

I don't quite understand the concept of background images that are supposed to stay fixed.
    If they stay fixed, how would any other images appear there? ... they are fixed in position.

But maybe Genesis has a demo site the describes what you want to do.

Member #
    Okay this was ridiculously complicated, but if you go to Advanced Content Marketing | Kathryn Aragon that person uses the exact same theme. I have the same idea - the home page slide has an image. Then #2 white background. #3 image. #4 white bg. #5 image.

I have different images. For whatever reason, what should be slides #3 and #5 should have background images. But they don't show on Chrome or Firefox. Highlight with your cursor, and you'll see there's text written.

If you have IE 11, for whatever reason it displays properly there.

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Can you show us the demo page that has the background images working correctly?
    Like Genesis has a demo page we can see?

I don't quite understand the concept of background images that are supposed to stay fixed.
    If they stay fixed, how would any other images appear there? ... they are fixed in position.

But maybe Genesis has a demo site the describes what you want to do.
    Its called parallax scrolling. And are usually underneath everything.

OP, do other images appear? First thing you should always check when images don't appear is if you are linking correctly. The other thing is that without seeing your site we can only speculate what could be wrong, so show us the site, being its wp you probably cant get away with throwing up a JsFiddle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Thanks. freelancewriterinchicago.com The very first image works 100% perfectly in all browsers. The same should happen in #3 and #5. I tried using the GUI design in WP and removing and re-applying the images. Everything seems to be okay in that regard.

Is there a way to check the link in code? I'm not a coder but can check these things out with brief directions. Thanks,

Dan

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I am not a WP person so I am not sure how to really help. I looked at your site and you are right the 1st one works but the rest do not work for me either. I noticed that theres a background image being applied to the home-section-1 class as well as home-section-3 and home-section-5, but the white is covering the 3rd and 5th has some issues with the white bg div above them overlapping them at the wrong time.

I dont really work with "plugins" (for this very reason) and if I did I know the gist of them to the point I can correct it or find a solution myself. Without knowing the platform a lil more I am not sure I can help you. There are however some very smart people on here that do know WP and can probably help a little more. Its a holiday week so I am not sure when any of them will see this but sit tight and I am sure someone will.

If I get a lil time I will try to dig deeper into your site but I cant make a promise I will be able to before someone else finds a solution.

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    You have something at the bottom of your website that is a popup with an 'x' to close it.
    The other site you showed us does not have that, instead, it's a footer that is 'fixed' position.

When you first installed your theme, before you made any changes, did it work then?

I think you broke the theme by adding something, as a plugin or whatever.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    You have something at the bottom of your website that is a popup with an 'x' to close it.
    The other site you showed us does not have that, instead, it's a footer that is 'fixed' position.

When you first installed your theme, before you made any changes, did it work then?

I think you broke the theme by adding something, as a plugin or whatever.
    You raise a good point that I forgot to take into account. It's a red bar that appears at the bottom of the page that contains a link to download a free special report. It shows up after you scroll down slightly.

It works on Chrome and Firefox, but not IE11. I tried disabling that plugin, but the same problem happens. This error happened, I think, within the last few months. So I could try disabling the newer plugins one by one to see if that fixes the problem. Most were installed many months, and perhaps more than a year ago.

I'll try that too as I have time and post the results here. Unfortunately, I have 50 plugins...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    I am not a WP person so I am not sure how to really help. I looked at your site and you are right the 1st one works but the rest do not work for me either. I noticed that theres a background image being applied to the home-section-1 class as well as home-section-3 and home-section-5, but the white is covering the 3rd and 5th has some issues with the white bg div above them overlapping them at the wrong time.

I dont really work with "plugins" (for this very reason) and if I did I know the gist of them to the point I can correct it or find a solution myself. Without knowing the platform a lil more I am not sure I can help you. There are however some very smart people on here that do know WP and can probably help a little more. Its a holiday week so I am not sure when any of them will see this but sit tight and I am sure someone will.

If I get a lil time I will try to dig deeper into your site but I cant make a promise I will be able to before someone else finds a solution.

Great. Thanks for letting me know that. I'll keep updating on things I've tried on this post. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danstelter View Post
    that person uses the exact same theme.
    This is exactly why I recommend against an amateur using a third party theme. I personally want something custom to represent me on the web.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads