Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I really need to tell the browser to ALWAYS load a given image from the cache; NEVER check the last-modified date. I can send the image through a PHP script so I have 100% control over the header packets; I already do this for some things. So, what header can I define to make it only load the image once and never ever load it again?

In case you're wondering, if the image does get changed, I delete the old version and make the new one using a different name -- Title1 becomes Title2, then Title3, etc. So new versions will be fetched correctly, but old ones should not be read at ALL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: It's probably likely that when the browser sees the image reference, it immediately loads it, reads the headers, and then, if it can, loads it from the cache. If this is the case, I guess I'm either out of luck or I can attempt to use JavaScript image pre-loading... the latter might sound like it doesn't make sense, but my page expands posts when you click the buttons for them, and this causes the images to be loaded right then, as opposed to ahead of time. And IE really is bad, because it loads images each time you expand something, even if it already loaded them!
    ~CGameProgrammer( );

Remove Ads