Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mlseim

Thread: Can't remove theme footer links

Member #

Can't remove theme footer links

Can't remove theme footer links
    Hello there,
    I own a wp blog Trickplus - Offers, Deals, Free Samples, Free Recharge Tricks, Giveaways and I use Chicago theme by Catch themes. I want to remove the footer links which says "Chicago theme by Catch themes" but i didn't find it in footer.php of theme.
    I searched all over google but didn't find it. How can i remove it
    Please help

Website : Trickplus - Offers, Deals, Free Samples, Free Recharge Tricks, Giveaways
    Theme : Chicago by Catch themes

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    OK, so here's the deal with this one ...

You probably can find a way to remove the Catch Themes link, but there are ethical reasons you should not. If you have the "free" version, that has to stay. If you purchase the theme, they will have a method in a "footer editor" to remove that link. So you might want to purchase the 'pro version' or whatever they call it.

To answer your question, I would have guessed it is in the "footer.php" script. Perhaps they figured out that people remove it without permission, so they moved the link portion to their "function.php" script. Or it could even be a javascript.

If you alter any theme files, anytime you get a new theme version upgrade or patch, your changes could be overwritten. That is what the term "child theme" is all about. You can create a "child theme" and WP will use whatever scripts you have in there instead of the "parent theme". Lots of info on that via Google.

My advice is to purchase the theme, and then you will be given the option to remove the link:
    Chicago Pro - Catch Themes

Any one of us could download the "free" theme and dig around for the footer link, determine how it is done, and offer advice to remove it. But only speaking for myself, my integrity as a programmer and the trust my clients have with me, I don't think it is right for me to describe how to remove that link ... especially when the author offers a valid way to remove it ... by purchasing the pro version. So I will leave you with the hints above and let you or someone else give you instructions to remove it. And know that I'm not claiming to be a 'perfect angel' either ... there was a time when I hacked and altered scripts all the time. At this point in my life, I use my real name on the internet and I wish to program as 'clean and straight' as I can. It's just a personal thing.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jan 23rd, 2016 at 10:55 AM.
    Vapr_Arts and DerrickE like this.

Remove Ads