Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is a PHP based website the best way to go?

Member #

Is a PHP based website the best way to go?

Hello. I had an old website that was just a simple html/css page, and I've been updating it so that each element of the page is a separate PHP file (e.g., Nav.php, footer.php, heater.php, etc...).

It's going well and working like I hoped and is going to be much easier to update. I was just wondering if this is a common practice among web developers.
    Is there a better, more accepted way of making an easy to update website, or is the PHP version ok?

Here's a link to what I have. It's not completely ported yet, but it's 90% done.
    http://www.thevotbot.com/index.php

Thanks.

John

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    If it works for your users, and eases your workload, it'll do. Is it the newest, bleeding edge, best practice, insert buzzwords here way to do it? Nope. It doesn't need to be if it works for your users and maximizes your ability to work with it.

I can't get to the site from the network I'm on, but it sounds like it's probably a fairly simple site. If you'd like a suggestion for other options anyway, take a look at a static site generator like Jekyll. It might speed up your process a little, but don't count on anything astronomical.
    coffeebot3000 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Hi Ron.

Yeah, I'm happy with it, and the client st happy so far. So I'll probably just keep going with it for this site.
    I'll definitely take a look at Jekyll and look into static site generators.

Thanks a lot.

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    PHP is common because it is commonly used.

Perl (or as people incorrectly call "cgi"), is another server-side language that has been around since the beginning of UNIX. Was popular until PHP sort of "took over". I think Perl has many advantages to PHP, except it doesn't have as many tutorials anymore.

If the website works for you and your users, then it is fine, whether it's PHP, Perl, or nothing.

Member #
    Hey mlseim. Thanks for the comment. I'm just getting into other languages (than html) like PHP and Javascript. I might take a look at Perl.

Thanks a ton.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeebot3000 View Post
    Hey mlseim. Thanks for the comment. I'm just getting into other languages (than html) like PHP and Javascript. I might take a look at Perl.

Thanks a ton.
    If you're just getting started, I would personally look into Ruby and Ruby on Rails. I use Php, but am slowly moving away from it and so far Ruby has been fun to learn. Its no where near as common as Php but you have quite a bit of resources.

I have never used Perl, so can't comment on that. Mlsiem is someone I would take advice from tho.
    coffeebot3000 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    You could also learn JavaScript and then NodeJS, which is a backend interpreter for JavaScript with a server API. Python is another option, as well as Google's Go language. There are a huge amount of possibilities out there for server side languages. You can even roll your own in C/C++. There are libraries for that: https://www.webtoolkit.eu/

Not sure how much Perl is really used these days, but there's nothing stopping you from using it either. The fun thing is that a server is nothing more than a computer with software that listens for and responds to network requests. If it can be compiled and run on a computer, you can use it for the web.

Ada anyone?

EDIT: Also, COBOL is an option: http://azac.pl/cobol-on-wheelchair/
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Vapr_Arts, yeah, I've been toying with ruby a bit. Haven't gotten into rails yet. But out of all the languages I've checked, it actually seems like one of the most understandable (for my novice brain, anyway).

Ronald, thanks for all those other suggestions. So much to choose from. I'd love to set up my own sever one of these days.
    Have to admit, I'm loving learning all these languages. Cool to see what we can do with them.

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    Back in 1977 I learned BASIC. Then I learned C++. You'll discover many similarities in all programming languages. PHP has taken a lot of things from Perl and C++. I have not done much with Ruby. Perl is really best known for text manipulation. Started back in 1987, it was a part of UNIX to help make reports easier.

The main things of focus would be the structure of programs, functions, and arrays. Once you learn the basics of any programming language, you'll find that learning other languages is fairly easy.

It becomes a bit addicting after a while. You work hard on something, debug, tweak, and then get to see a final successful result.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Once you learn the basics of any programming language, you'll find that learning other languages is fairly easy.
    This is what I'm hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    It becomes a bit addicting after a while. You work hard on something, debug, tweak, and then get to see a final successful result.
    And this is why I'm having so much fun with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads