Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Availability Calendar

Hi all,

I need to create an availability calendar which will show morning and evening availability for 28 different locations where events will be run. The complexity lies with keeping these up to date, as there is a limited number of staff who can run these events. However, if a location is close enough an event coordinator could run a morning event and evening event in two locations.

I have been looking at PHP calendar tutorials online and have noticed that to mark an unavailable date, this is done by entering code into the script on the webpage itself. However, doing this day in day out for 28 separate pages is going to be an issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I could achieve this. My only thoughts are if I can create 28 separate calendars and a single document which they could all reference. I could then use formula from an existing booking spreadsheet to create the code for availability for each location, and place them all into the single document. I do not know how I would then ensure that each separate calendar picked up only the relevant bookings from the single reference document.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Peter.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Google Calendar has a great web API. I've used it before for similar projects. It would make updating the calendars super easy.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    I've been looking at the capabilities and it may fit what my needs. Do you know if i could have multiple calendars which could be updated by entering the relevant code in one go? i.e entering all the code for every calendar in one upload rather than for each individual calendar. Also, do you have an example of how the calendar appears to users on one of your websites?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I used it for an events list. I didn't do a calendar output. It's a JavaScript implementation, though so I don't think it'll be overly useful to you.

You can add events through the API. Working up a script for it wouldn't be hard. Here's a link to the API documentation: https://developers.google.com/google-apps/calendar/
    Last edited by Ronald Roe; Nov 14th, 2016 at 05:32 AM.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads