Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Help on descisson

Hey guys i am kind of confused on something. So basically i have a web application in which i wan to create a section to fill receipt infomation, i need some infomation such as customer id customer name, customer address, customer tel, product id, sales agent id, order number and order date. The customer id, ordern number,order date ,agent id and product date will be store in one table.

What i am confused about is that will it be better to generate the customer id using php mt_rand() function based on some criterias so that this info gets directly to the order table without any further queries or generate this id with mysql and query the database again to get this info and store in the order table (and i will need to store the customer id in who bought a specific product in the orders table).

Which is better or what can i do that's better??

Sent from my 404SC using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    647 times
    The topic here is "normalization". You can Google "MySQL normalization"

I'm not really an expert at MySQL, but here is my take.

You'll have a table for the customers:
    customer id, customer name, customer address, customer tel

You'll have a table for the agents:
    agent id, agent name, agent tel

You'll have a table for the products:
    product id, product desc, product price

Finally, you'll have a table for the "transactions":
    order no, order date, product id, customer id, agent id, order qty

Each time an item is ordered, a row gets added to "transactions". This table is the most used one and has the most rows. The other tables only get updated when customers are added/modified, agents are added/modified, or products

You can see that in "transactions", you have common column names as in the other tables. That is what allows you to JOIN them in a variety of ways.

This whole system becomes efficient because you are not reading and writing redundant information to multiple tables. The customer id will always be the same even if the customer's phone number or address is changed. Changing them won't affect any other table.

You'll want to really study JOIN functions with MySQL,
    ...and you should be using PDO: https://phpdelusions.net/pdo

In the least use MySQLi ... instead of MySQL

Member #
    Thanks. I was thing of using transactions in mysql. Such that when i get the customer info into the data and mysql automatically creates an id (wc i finally decided to adopt) , i will read this data inorder to store into the orders (transacttion) table. Cause my problem was if u should generate the IDs my self using php and store in the database or automatically generate withing the database

Member #
    And am actually using mysqli through phpmyadmin

Member #
    I created a contraint between my orders (transaction) table and the customer table, agent and product. So that if u possibly (ever) change the customer id it will change every where but if u delete a customer, it wont work as we cannot have an order which doesn't belong to any customer

Member #
    Liked
    647 times
    I think if you had a customer id of 123, and you wanted to remove that customer, by using JOIN it would remove all rows containing the customer id 123 from all tables you specified in the JOIN. That would be done with 1 query.

Member #
    What if i go directly to the database and delete?? With contrains u have to delete the data in a specfic order.

Member #
    First from the orders table then either the customer table or product

Member #
    Liked
    647 times
    If you go directly to the database and manually browse tables and delete things, you are right ... you have to do it all by hand.

If you know the queries to do things, like the queries you do with PHP, you can run queries from the phpmyadmin ... where I think you are doing things manually?

Member #
    Am running the queries manually through phpmyadmin. But still got a problem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads