Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: PHP Editors

Member #
    Hello,
    I was wondering if there are any PHP editors around that any of you would recommend?

Thank You,

JR
    Member #
    What do you mean by that? Do you mean a WYSIWYG editor? If so then there is none that I am aware of. I just use dreamweaver for coding PHP.
    JR

Member #
    It would be pretty hard to code php by a visual input, although there might be one that has only a code view but has premade functions and such, just like a JS editor would.
    regards,
    robc

JR
    Member #
    Yes, I was thinking of something like the actionscript WYSIWYG editor in Flash.
    JR

Member #
    i was thinking of something with premade functions maybe, its doesnt have to have a preview as I do not use them very often, But when ever I am looking for PHP scripts and I download one they come in a zip and the instructions mean nothing to me, Im lost with it, its almost as if they are hacks for a phpBB forum or something. Because it tell me to edit my config.php gfile etc and I dont have them with my website?

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    There are two prominent IDEs for php language. Zend and PHPEd.

Zend: http://www.zend.com/
    PHPEd: http://www.nusphere.com/

They are both kinda like Visual Studio, no WYSIWYG.

I personally own and would recommend Zend Studio 3. Keep in mind that both are commercial products.
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    Thank You I shall have a peep at them and see whats what,

Member #
    I was wondering if there are any PHP editors around that any of you would recommend?
    As far as I know (and I might be wrong), Dreamweaver MX is the only WYSIWYG editor that colors PHP code (based on stored function-names). And Dreamweaver allows you to add new functions to their library if you want the ability to quick-add functions/code you've designed.

PHP is not meant to be a full flegded application-construction-language. As PHP so far is based solely on locked function-dynamics and not on more sophisticated programming mechanics: (classes, constructors/deconstructors, parents, objects, inheritance etc). The way PHP is made now, functions defines its capabilities.

Naturally, I would say, as PHP is working within an enclosed environment (presenting web-pages) and do not require more sophisticated interchangeability, like it would be within a complex interactive software community (your typical home PC).

Beeing an open source object, PHP and its functions changes rapidly. The development team tries to their best ability to maintain backward compatibility meaning that new functions (that are basically a constellation of multiple older function calls), are there as "add-ons" to old functions, even though the old ones most likely faces deprecation (deletion).

Since the whole language is beeing developed in C++, a lot of add-on-programmers have now started to implement C++ capabilities in their efforts to construct a language they're familiar with. This will be more translucent as the Zend II engine is released in future PHP editions.

This was a lot of b-ull-shi-t- with regard to your question, but if you only copy program code you want to implement, and you don't know why or how to alter your servers way of handling them, I think you should start to read up a little on the subject (PHP).
    A lot of different functionality depends on how you've configured your server. Most of it is based on security, but there are other things (like graphic handlers that require installation of the GD library as an example) that requires your server administrators to do alterations.

Im lost with it, its almost as if they are hacks for a phpBB forum or something. Because it tell me to edit my config.php gfile etc and I dont have them with my website?
    If you don't know how the server's been configured, you should at least know what alterations are required to make the server do what you want it to do, or how you should alter your code to make the server do what you want it to do within the constraints of the server configuration.

This is far from as complex as you might think!!!!
    Just read up! Good luck
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Here is a nice list of PHP editors, Free/Share/ and Greed ware alike: http://phpeditors.linuxbackup.co.uk/

Member #
    Dreamweaver MX 2004

Remove Ads