Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: Which language is better??

Member #

Which language is better??

I want to know which language is better to learn for a beginner
    PHP or ASP.NET??Kindly tell me the sites where i can get basics?

Member #
    Liked
    686 times
    For a beginner I would say PHP. Not that it's better or not, but easier and more accessible. Lots of information, lots of online tutorials and forums, etc.

The best way to learn is to do it. Either using your own PC web server (APACHE/WAMP w/PHP), or getting a cheap shared website (like cleverdot.com). Don't use a free webhost because most have limitations. Many online tutorials via Google. Some are out-dated though.

The most important consideration is how much previous programming skills you have. If you have zero program language skills, you'll have a long road ahead.

Member #
    Liked
    939 times
    It depends on what you want. Do you want to use a language that is accessible, comparatively easy to learn? PHP is it. Jobs are easy to find, but the pay tends to be crap.

ASP.net is more difficult to learn, and isn't as widely used. Jobs pay a good bit more, but are super hard to find.

Want the best of both worlds? Learn Node, Ruby or Python. Jobs are both easy to find and tend to pay pretty well. As a bonus, Node runs on JS, which you'll have to learn for the front end anyway.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    686 times
    I learned BASIC on a teletype connected by acoustic phone modem to a remote server ... around 1976?

This is the machine, ASR-33

busso likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    939 times
    I would not be born for another 5 years.
    busso likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    In the end, it doesn't matter... Great software and websites are written by great programmers, not the language. You can write equally bad software in PHP or asp.net. Or equally good software for that matter.

Member #
    In my opinion you need to learn both because they both have their equal importance in their own way. Asp.Net is very secure than PHP but both have the same importance.Scope will not reduce for any of the programming language. Asp.net is a Microsoft marketed product and PHP is web designing programming language so both the languages have their own priority.

Member #
    I think PHP is better, because PHP is the backbone of the most popular CMS's today. I say go for it, if you don't like it you're always on time to change!

Member #
    You will find that the vast majority of websites use PHP and hence there are more job opportunities. Ronald mentioned the pay being crap for PHP projects but I don't find this to be true. For example over the past year, adding up my top 5 highest paying Node.js work against my top 5 highest paying PHP projects, I earned over twice as much for the PHP work.

Having said that, there is some truth to that in that if you are doing straight forward PHP or working on Wordpress sites then the pay doesn't tend to be great but if you learn PHP frameworks such as Laravel or Codeigniter for example, you will find there are a large number of high paying jobs out there for PHP. In any case, there are vastly more PHP jobs out there than ASP so there is more opportunity to make more money on loads of lower paying projects than the occasional slightly higher paying one.

PHP is also easier to learn as well as having quite allot in common with other languages so it's a great language to learn for a beginner.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    php is a programming language, asp is a programming language, if you can understand sequencing, branching and looping all there is to know is the different syntax, best I can tell

Remove Ads