Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    i've been trying to learn PHP for quite a while now (about 4 months), and still i am finding learning rather difficult, i am attempting to use PHP and mySQL knowledge to make a simple Battle System for my site, but learning PHP is harder than i thought it would be, the only real PHP practise i have had, is with my vBulletin, i heard from other PHP Programmers, that it's easier that HTML, but for some reason i am finding it extremely difficult, does anyone here know anywhere which can push me in the right direction

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I wouldn't compare HTML and PHP. HTML is a fairly simple markup language, a few sets of tags and attributes to tell the browser how to format your content. PHP, on the other hand, is a programming language (some might argue it is not a programming language, rather a scripting language). It is more powerfull and complicated that HTML.

In my case, my previouse experience with languages such as C and Java helped me learn PHP. I'd suggest that you get a book on PHP, read it, do all the excercises/projects it has. Also you should create small projects just to learn the language, for example, create a simple guestbook, address book, birthdays database (I had one with name and DOB only), mailer ( using mail( ) function) etc. etc.
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    i had heard from many people that C is similar to PHP, i used to have a PHP book, called the PHP Developers Cookbook, but it wasn't that good and didn't teach me much except the basics

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    C is similar in syntax but that's about it.

I have this book at work. I already knew PHP but it helped a lot with MySQL: http://www.sams.com/catalog/product....-3BCFDD08B32D}
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    i might decide to get that book later on, but someone on vbulletin.org helped me out and posted a load of PHP Tutorial links, and i'm finally starting to get the basics, and along with my vBulletin PHP files it keeps me busy and learning more

Member #
    hmmm

I wouldn't try to do mysql and php yet, try just some simple echo() and vars 1st and get the simple things down, then move up to mysql ad you can always use text files for storing data, and is this battle system for a forum? or just by it self?

because I have found hacking a vb or IBF to be mych harder than just programing a simple shoutbox

hope that helps ya
    "I'm lazy and damn proud of it!"
    - Jordan S. Rains, aka, Me! >_>
    "I saw a car one day, I drove it home, and now the cops are after me for some strange reason."
    - ehem...me again <_<

Member #
    Originally posted by Rufus
    hmmm

I wouldn't try to do mysql and php yet, try just some simple echo() and vars 1st and get the simple things down, then move up to mysql ad you can always use text files for storing data, and is this battle system for a forum? or just by it self?

because I have found hacking a vb or IBF to be mych harder than just programing a simple shoutbox

hope that helps ya
    making simple things like that isn't too hard, it's just making something out of it i really find difficult, i have many php and mysql tutorials to help me on my computer, but trying to actually get something made is the hard part for me, since i don't know how this code turns into something like a topsite, battle system etc

Member #
    well those are kinda advanced if you make a good one lol

I suggest going to my site, www.starskimmer.us and downloading some of the scripts and see how they work thats how I learnt PHP C++ and HTML lol
    "I'm lazy and damn proud of it!"
    - Jordan S. Rains, aka, Me! >_>
    "I saw a car one day, I drove it home, and now the cops are after me for some strange reason."
    - ehem...me again <_<

Member #
    heh i knew a topsite would be a pretty advanced thing to do, but i didn't realise a Battle System would be that difficult, i know one guy who made a MMORPG using PHP for his site DBGTN.com, and it was pretty damn good stuff, i don't need anything big, like a map or anything, just a simple battle script i can integrate with my vBulletin forums, so you can have your own Level, HP, MP and EXP, and also gain extra moves as you get stronger, if i could just get that working i would be happy, since i can get another person to help out and make anything extra, plus it would be good for someone to release a Battle System for vB and shut up those people moaning for one

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    How does a battle system work?
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads