Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Storing Hierarchical Data in a Database
    Converting an adjacency list model to a nested set model

Is this truly the best way to add/reference data in databases? I seriously doubt that's what BBs are using nowadays, or are they?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I don't know if it's "truly the best way to add/reference data in databases" but I sure am using the second method detailed in the first link (Modified Preorder Tree Traversal). I think it makes a lot of sense and is easy to work with.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    That's the method I was telling you about here: http://www.webdesignforums.net/threa...tml#post100934

The Left / Right pairing allows faster indexing and searching in parent/child relationships, so that you don't need to do recursive querying to find relationships that span multiple generations.

It's a very good way for storing single-parent entities in databases, but cannot be used to store two-parent relationships, because you would necessarily have overlap between Left / Right pairs (unless an enforcement on the relationships is that one entity can only ever have one mate).

For that reason, this architecture is not suitable for your breeding problem. You could, however, probably devise a derivative of the Left / Right pairing that would allow you to correctly structure two-parent-child relatioships with fast indexing.

Let me know if you succeed. ;-) If not, I'll think of ways of doing it myself and let you know if I think of anything.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Oh THAT's what that was! I can see it now lol.

If you wanted multiple parents, you could hack it to become one. Every unique pairing of parents would result in a unique parent_id, which would then virtually replace the parents. Children would reference the parents that way.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    You could also create another table, a lookup table if you will.

(Using my application as an example.)

products:
    id
    name

categories:
    name
    lft
    rgt

products_categories:
    prod_id
    c_lft
    c_rgt

That's pretty much it. Allows me to put a product into as many categories as I want.

Chris.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Transio, is that stuff efficient in mySQL, because if you have unique IDs in each entry, you don't need to search?
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    i'd say something more like what you suggested... with the litter <sp> having a unique id... that way, you can also keep track of which animals came from the same litters, as well. Something like this would do well for you:
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE animals (
        id int NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
        litter_id int NULL REFERENCES litters(id),
        breed_id int NULL REFERENCES breeds(id),
        gender_id int NOT NULL REFERENCES genders(id),
        name varchar(255) NOT NULL
        PRIMARY KEY (id)
    );
    CREATE TABLE litters (
        id int NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
        father_id int NULL REFERENCES animals(id),
        mother_id int NULL REFERENCES animals(id),
        left int NOT NULL,
        right int NOT NULL,
        mating_date datetime NULL,
        birth_date datetime NULL,
        PRIMARY KEY (id)
    );
    If you look at it in this context, though, two things become apparent:
    1. The left/right pairing won't work, because it's spanning two sets of meta-data.
    2. You have a circular reference with the litter / parents... which is not a recommended architecture.

Needs some more work... keep thinking about it.

Remove Ads