Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Ello all

Im mid way through a web-project at the moment and im just having a few problems with what i should be doing with data that is entered by the user. The nature of the site will involve quite a lot of input which goes to a mysql server and ive heard about possible ways of entering data into html forms which will "break" the system allowing the person who put the code in to run queries of their choice, or other damaging code.

I know a few ways to stop this happening....

The first is to limit the characters that can be input by the user, such as limiting to alpha-numerics and a few symbols like -,! etc. The problem with this is that its too strict for places like forums where you should be allowed to post anything, even php code if someone needs support, so that is kind of out of the question.

The other way i know is by using htmlspecialchars but i dont know to what extent this protects the system.

Could someone give me a few pointers as to what i should do . Id like to not have to restrict anything, but to make sure that whatever gets sent to the sql server or echo'd through php is 100% safe and wont run any unauthorised code/queries.

Many thanks for the help :bandit:

Member #
    Its actually very easty to prevent VERY easy.
    just use this function on every single string
    htmlentities()
    so to prevent hacking just execute this function on every single piece of incomming data. If you would like a Great example of data parse for incomming data I suggest you check out the function "parse_incoming", "clean_key", and "clean_value" in the file functions.php in the Invision Board script. http://www.invisionboard.com/downloa...t=dl&s=1&id=11

Remove Ads