Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You don't want to trigger it through user visits... that's why you need to use cron (which is *scheduling*)... that way, it only happens once a month at Midnight on 1st (or whatever).

Please elaborate on your setup... are you using Linux hosting? If so, do you have shell, or CPanel or what? If you let me know I can write you better instructions...

Sean

Member #
    nsr81

nsr81, I love you!

I was looking for that forever!

Only problem is that it returns really weird stuff as output, dunno why that is.

Don't suppose you could give a little explaination of why it works? Searching linux+get+cron does really narrow it down, lol.

Thank again, I can put down my Perl book!

but, I used the GET method, not the lynx method...

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    did you put ">/dev/null" part at the end? That'll make sure that no output is generated. Because the server you are on, will email you any output generated by your script. /dev/null will eliminate that.

As for why "GET", that is same is a putting in the URL in your browser's window. GET program simulates requesting the document through web browser from your site.
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Just a note on security (although it doesn't sound like that's an issue here).

If you make a "daemon" script web accessible, that's a huge potential target for hackers. That's all I have to say. I know it doesn't really apply here... just think forward.

On with your business.

Member #
    RHL hosting, not sure of the version. I still have to ask if I can run scheduling on the server though.
    - Brian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads