Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    We have just put ourselves on a very strict budget, so this Christmas we want our gift to our friends and family to be a fun/custom web site. I'm looking for an easy to install/customize script that:
    1) Looks pretty nice (want to be able to add graphics and change colors of basic template desired)
    2) Will enable our friends/family to easily post images and text to the site.
    3) Is easy to install for someone like me who has limited knowledge of PHP and virtually no knowledge of MySql. (I Have customized OSC sites, but my host has it so that I can do an automatic install, then all I have to do is get into the php files.)
    4) because we are on a tight budget I'm looking for a free script
    5) Searchable

Any suggestions? You know, I think that a forum script might work. But If I could have a script that has the power of a forum AND a cool image gallery that visitors can post to, that would be super cool.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds with suggestions Please below for a detail description of what we hope to do - should be very cool!

Cheers,
    MaFunk

FYI
    If you're curious, this is what we want to do with the site. We think that it will make a cool gift.
    We plan to send our friends and families a custom Christmas Card, and in that card will be a blurb about the site, along with the URL. This is what they're visiting experience will be like:

Homepage
    Basically a welcome page, and a page that will provide them with all of their options. On the hompage we will also include a couple of "corny" links (link to flash christmas greeting AND streaming video of our faimily wishing folks a happy holiday)

Calendar
    Want a calendar where folks can post and view birthdays, anniversaries, special events, etc. I like the calendar at my client's site http://www.colishcreations.com however I'm not sure if it's the right script for such a public site

Recipe Page
    We will post family recipes that we have collected, along with some holiday recipes. We will also provide links to my favorite recipe sites. Want folks to be able to easily upload their recipe submissions to site. And if they can include a picture with the recipe that would be super cool!

Gifts Page
    Here we will have several creative and/or homemade gift ideas for various holidays. We will also have links to some gift ides sites. I want folks to be able to post their gift ideas here (along with image of gift if applicable).

Art Gallery
    I want people to be able to post their art in the art gallery section. In this section we will also include images of art created by our family. And, we may include links to some cool art sites.

Finance Page
    Here we post links, with our personal review, to several useful finance sites. We want others to be able to post their links and reviews as well.

Family Fun Page
    Here we will post ideas for family activities and fun. As well as links for families. We also want people to be able to post their links/reviews.

Emotional Health
    Here we will post ideas for building better relationships, as well as links and reviews of sites that do this. We also want people to be able to post their links/reviews. We will also post other things that we think pertain to emotional health. (relationships, self-esteem, stress, etc.)

Spiritual Health
    Here we will post spiritual sayings, pursuits, etc. as well as links and reviews of sites that handle this matter. We also want people to be able to post their links/reviews. We will start have to break out into "Christianity", "Buddhism", "New Age", "Non-sectarian" If people want to add other spiritual pursuits I want them to be able to do so.

Physical Health
    Here we will post ideas about taking better care of your physical self. It, like many other sections of the site, will include book reviews, link reviews, etc. And folks will be able to post to it.

Humour page
    Favorite CLEAN jokes posted here

Kids Corner
    A place for kids to post and chat. Want to moderate this. Only want this available to approved members

OK so that's it for now. I know that it sounds like a big undertaking, but I've already got most of the content ready. I just need a good script to make it happen.

MaFunk

Member #
    I know you can get the forum, pictures, calendar, and other posting areas with phpBB. The hacks and everything else are free. You could kind of make it a portal.....

JR
    Member #
    Try either www.phpBB.com or www.invisionboard.com for your forum.
    JR

Member #
    cool thanks - phpbb looks awesome - and so easy to install!!!

Member #
    http://tutorials.gfxdiary.com/ that site has an example of what phpBB can do for a posting section not just a forum....

Member #
    http://www.mamboserver.com is a great FREE content management system (CMS) There are several free plugins, including phpBB, art galleries and the such. Seems like it would have everything you need. Best of all, it is incredibly easy to install, you can manage the site from any computer, and you don't even have to know html. Visit the forum at http://forum.mamboserver.com and if you ask for a template that several people may be able to use, you might get one for free.

Member #
    MAMBO is DRIVING ME NUTS!!!

OK - I"m definitely not a programmer, but I installed phpbb just fine. So, I then went to install Mambo version 4.5. Installation went fine. I can log in as an editor, but can't seem to log in as admin. I have tried EVERY fix that I could find on their forums - still can't log in. I posted for help, and they made a few suggestions. I follwed their suggestion to at "T" and still can't log in.

I'm so totally frustrated I'm thinking about bagging Mambo and just building this think in phpbb. The thing is if it worked Mambo looks like it would be really cool.

What do you think Keliix? Should I bad it because version 4.5 has to many bugs, or do you think its worth trying to figure out? Did you many troubles when you installed version 4.5?

Thanks
    MaFunk

Member #
    Before you get too far along with your phpBB, look at http://phpbbfm.net . It's a version of phpBB that's fully modded, with TONS of hacks installed. It almost has too many hacks installed, and some (like the shoutbox) you can't easily remove. But for a forum like you're talking about, this includes a calander, a photo gallery, and a lot more that will make it "fun" for family and friends to visit. It will save you the time of installing these hacks after you install your initial version of phpBB.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i want to say...

Originally posted by splufdaddy
    Before you get too far along with your phpBB, look at http://phpbbfm.net . It's a version of phpBB that's fully modded, with TONS of hacks installed. It almost has too many hacks installed, and some (like the shoutbox) you can't easily remove. But for a forum like you're talking about, this includes a calander, a photo gallery, and a lot more that will make it "fun" for family and friends to visit. It will save you the time of installing these hacks after you install your initial version of phpBB.
    well phpbbfm is really good choice but thing is that some functions are not working in default there and some images are missing there...

you will need a support for that...

it's better way that you install a phpbb.com and install another hacks manually ... http://phpbbhacks.com is a great site on web for phpbb hacks..

hey phpbbfm lovers parden me this is just my frankly reply

:classic:

Member #
    Thanks for the input. Actually before I did the install I started looking for reviews and they basically said what you said. Thanks for confirming.

Call me fickle, but now I'm thinking of using IPB instead.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads