Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,

I basicly have this problem: A client operates an internet radio. He wants a PHP script that displays the current show playing on the radio. He has a scedule for all the shows and everything, and now I am having problems writing the script. I tried having a text file that held the information in a multi-dimension array, but the problem with that was that I had no way of telling the script if the clients show went at odd times such as 10:30 - 11:30. It only knew how to do 10:00 - 10:59 shows. So I came up with writing to a text file the current show every time a new show came on, for example:

10:00 - "The ten o'clock show!" written to file
    11:30 - "The eleven thirty show!" written to file

The problem with this is, the PHP script will only execute if someone accesses it aka visits the site. Anyone know how to automate the script so that it runs basicly 24/7? Or know of a similar solution to my problem?

Thanks,
    [Li] Brad
    "Art strives for form, and hopes for beauty." - George Bellows

Member #
    Wait... I think I just answered my own question: tell me if I am wrong, but anytime someone visits the site, even if the file hasen't been updated, it will get updated right??

Ahh, please tell me if I am dumb :ermm:

[Li] Brad

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Not exactly sure what you're getting at... but you can use Cron Jobs (ask your host) to make a script execute ever x minutes, days, etc.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    No, I think what I said in my second post is true, basicly it doesn't matter if the info in the file is "out of date" because it only needs to be displayed to site visitors, therefore every time someone accesses the site, the show script will run and update the file. Thanks a lot for offering help though.

[Li] Brad

Remove Ads