Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi All,

I'm trying to use MySQL & PHP on my website & I would like to load images into my web pages according to the resolution that the user is running and possibly according to the speed of their internet connexion. Therefore, if someone logs on using a t1 line AND 1024*768 resolution, they'd see a better image on the web page than someone with a dialup modem and 800*600 resolution. Are there any commands that php can execute to ascertain connexion speed and screen resolution?

This would be most helpful.

Thanks

Sam

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    - there is no (easy) way to guess your visitor's connection speed. You can present to them a page asking if they want high speed version or low speed version.

- You will need to use javascript to detect the screen resolution.
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    Is there a piece of javascript that will already do the job?

Would I have to run the script on each page viewed or could the information be stored somewhere?

How would I pass the information from javascript into php?

I'm sure there are simple answers to these questions, but I'm afraid I'm learning at the moment and so, if you could humour me, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Sam

Remove Ads