Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    How can I create a script that uses session functions to remember which pages a user has visited thereby providing the user with a list of links on each page to make it easy for the user to retrace their steps?

Eric
    Blogs For Sale - Each blog is packed with 1000s of signatures and ads are highly integrated into the site. Great CTR! Completely customizable from Admin CP. On Sale!
    Complete Websites For Sale - Fantastic looking sites rich with content. Come complete with domain names. I only have a couple of these.

Member #
    Firstly, you have to create a new session, and check at every page. The way to do this is the same throughout, like so:

<?php
    start_session();
    ?>

This should be at the top of every PHP page, before any spaces or anything else being outputed. The start_session() function either creates a new session if one is not defined, or starts working with the currently defined session.

The next step is storing the URLs. PHP provides a convenient place, in the form of the $_SESSION array. If the only thing you are storing is the URLs, then the simplest way of storing the URLs is:

$_SESSION[] = $_SERVER["REQUEST_URI"];

Then to print them out, just use your favourite method of reading through an array. One way to do it:

foreach($_SESSION as $url){
    echo "<a href=\"$url\">$url</a>.";
    }

These are just pointers to get you started. Post back for more help later to work out any details...
    eKstreme
    eKstreme.com - Free website tools!
    fontfox - free fonts Hand-picked quality fonts.

Member #
    Thanks eKstreme,

I will give this a try and see how it works. It seems simple enough. I'll let you know how it goes or if I have any questions.

ERic
    Blogs For Sale - Each blog is packed with 1000s of signatures and ads are highly integrated into the site. Great CTR! Completely customizable from Admin CP. On Sale!
    Complete Websites For Sale - Fantastic looking sites rich with content. Come complete with domain names. I only have a couple of these.

Remove Ads