Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Basic Design Layout

Hi guys..

I'm a struggling artist trying (like most other artists) to make ends meet.. So, I have decided to redesign my website to make it much more current.. and hopefully attract more sales..

What I am hoping to end up with is a site which looks a little like this one Society6 | Affordable Art Prints, iPhone Cases and T-shirts

Now, I haven't changed my site for about 3-4 years so I am completely out of the loop and was hoping that those of you who have more current knowledge and can spare me a minute or two to be able to put me on the right path...

The program I am going to be using to design my new page will be Adobe Dreamweaver CS.. Is this still the best option? perhaps there is something which can help me achieve my goals a lot simpler.. to be honest, if there is a ready made template which looks anything like the site I mentioned above I would jump at it.

Do any of you know of such a template? or what I need to do in order to achieve the look and feel of the site I like? I would be extremely grateful for advice at this very, very early stage as if I start wrong.. well, it'll just get worse

Thanks for taking time out to read.. and if you can help.. fantastic!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    They did not use a theme and i do not mess with themes so i cant really point you in the direction of one.

What i can do is tell you for one DW is not the best option.. Point n click websites will NEVER be the best option.. On top of that DW will not open a template/theme Usually.. This is because DW has its own template type document and most people do not create them in or for DW..

I also don't know if DW will connect to MAMP.. To be honest im the person that will tell u to get DW as far away from u as possible! I was told to learn it in school and quickly realized its incompatibility and how broken it is.

If you dont want to learn code you could do something along the lines of Wordpress or Joomla.. I dont have much info on these either as i prefer to hand code my stuff..

So in a summary.. My advice is run away from DW! Get far away from it! It can only be "ok" if you know a little html/css but even then the temptation to click a button instead of writing the code is dangerous.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Agreed. I only use DW to see the "live" version of my code when I write it.
    As far as wordpress goes, there are several themes that are similar in appearance, I've never used joomla so unsure there, and drupal has several similar ones as well.
    If you decide to go the wordpress route, send me a message, I can help you get started.

Slithering from the nether regions of a twisted mind and tarnished soul

Member #
    Thanks for the advice. Wordpress looks like it might be the choice for me. My aim is not to becomer a coder but simply to produce a good looking site which to sell my art. I'll put DW away for now then

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryke_the_Orc View Post
    As far as wordpress goes, there are several themes that are similar in appearance, I've never used joomla so unsure there, and drupal has several similar ones as well.
    If you decide to go the wordpress route, send me a message, I can help you get started.

Thanks also for the advice re DW. After a quick look around I think Wordpress might be just what I need. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    DW was once a decent option for people in your situation, but a horrible option for anyone else. However, CMS's like Wordpress have removed the need for DW altogether.

Most hosting plans have one-click installers for Wordpress. So, just find a theme you like, then use the installer and add the theme to it. You can upload the theme as a zip file from within the Wordpress admin area.

Another potential option for you would be Wordpress.com. You'd just sign up and go. You'd be locked in to the themes they provide, but they're usually versatile enough that you should be able to find something you like.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Even if your provider doesn't offer the one click install, installation is a breeze. Adding themes is as easy as clicking install now, or uploading a zip file through the browser. If you get stuck just give me a shout, I'm more than happy to help.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryke_the_Orc View Post

If you want to see a live version of your code, try out Brackets. It updates your CSS in real time. Very handy, tried it out when it launched late last year and didn't go back to Notepad++. Though i'm comparatively new to development, I don't know/look for many 'advanced' features that you may find in other editors but it has more and more plug ins being developed for it as time goes on.

Remove Ads