Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help...

sao
    Member #
    Please, can somebody teach me how to register my small web site with search engines?

I'm a bit lost here, as my knowledge of web page creation is very limited.

Any help very much appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    1846 times
    The best way is to visit each of the major search engines and to submit them by hand (automated search engine submission just doesn't work). My rule of thumb is to submit once a week for about 4-6 weeks (or until the site is properly indexed). Do not submit more than once a day or you'll be blacklisted for spamming, whatever you do.

When your site is listed, the best thing you can do is find as many places as possible to get a link to your site on. Engines such as Google base a significant portion of their ranking of results on the number of links a site has (since a link to a site is considered a link that's important or relevant, generally speaking).

That's the overly simplified explanation. There are other intricacies, twists and turns as it pertains to the engines and it's an ever-changing field. So be prepared to get your hands dirty, if you know what I mean.
    I'm an expert in off-page SEO, social media optimization, and repeating everything everyone else says about these topics so that I sound like I know what I'm talking about.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

sao
    Member #
    Please bear with me,

So, I will submit by hand to the major search engines and keep doing it once a week till the site is properly indexed. How I will know that?

As my small site is "almost" ready (as far as I know) for public exposure, is there any chance that some of you could check it briefly and let me know the absurdity of my coding?

At the moment, I have put it at up at .Mac.com and I have tested only with IE, OmniWeb, Safari, and links, always from a Mac.

http://homepage.mac.com/sao1/fink/index.html

Thanks a lot for the tips!

Member #
    Liked
    1846 times
    *shudder* Mac...bad!

Seriously, there are quite a few errors on your page. The best thing you can do is to visit Net Mechanic and run their "Fix HTML Code Errors" trial on that page (don't bother subscribing to the newsletter though).

As far as the search engine question goes, you will know when the site is indexed when you can search for the URL of the site and see results (e.g. you can see how this site is indexed on a search engine by typing in "webdesignforums.net" in the search blank.)
    I'm an expert in off-page SEO, social media optimization, and repeating everything everyone else says about these topics so that I sound like I know what I'm talking about.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Mac = good because the site admin has an iBook and will buy a Power Mac in a year or two

BTW another way you can diagnose HTML problems is with Dreamweaver; you can get a trial for OS X or Windows at http://www.macromedia.com/dreamweaver/ .
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

sao
    Member #
    mac (six at home) = good

sao web authoring = bad :-)

I tried last night before going to bed "Fix HTML Errors". I have some work to do now repairing the code.

I wrote the pages in BBEdit, I think I have Dreamweaver for OS X somewhere, will check it out.

Thanks to both of you for the tips!

PS: If I can't find a solution for some of my code replacement, in which forum shall I start a new thread ?

Member #
    I wouldn't recommend submitting your site over and over because you'll get busted for spamming. My submission service guarantees that you'll get indexed within 7 days of your order and this is in the major search engines including Yahoo, Google, MSN, etc... The old saying is true... "you get what you pay for".

Edit:--URL removed. Please do not advertise your site in the forums, only in your signature. Thank you -- TheGAME1264

Best Regards,
    Jason

Member #
    Liked
    1846 times
    sao,

If you're still having coding issues at this point, post to this forum. Someone will almost always have the answer.

sao
    Member #
    Thanks! If I'm in trouble I will post in that forum.

Member #
    Google gets 150 million queries/day. The next search engine down has 6 million.

Google's the one that you most need to get into, but submitting your site to them won't do crap for you. Your rank is based on links to your site, and if you have links to your site Google will find your site as it finds the links to your site.

In fact, you may already be in their index. Go to Google and search for your URL (example: I would search for "nextgenstats.com" for my site), and if a site comes up, they've already found it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast