Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello
    I'm just starting out in web design and have been reading/studying like mad for the past 6 months. I want to code with accessibility and standards in mind. My question has to do with header elements on my pages. I've started coding (nothing online yet) some pages and, like many, use an image replacement method using <h1> tags in the masthead (or header or whatever else you may like to call it) for the company name/tagline. Now, what I started doing in the main body content area was using <h2> tags for the page title, if you will (not the title tag). And further subdividing the content, I use <h3>s, etc. My thinking was that an <h1> should appear only once on a page, but after some further thought, the masthead <h1> is really somewhat unrelated to the content of the page. Would I be better off for search engine optimization to start my content area with an <h1> or does it really matter?

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's considered better to use <h1> to define the actual page heading, i.e. the title of the document, article, etc. The site name and tagline are much less useful for SEO than people tend to think and don't need the same status of the page title.

Having said that, I suspect the the impact of either method on SEO is minimal.

Member #
    Would it better to use say an <h5> for the site name and <h1> for the page heading, or would an <h1> for each suffice?

I guess given your answer that this is more a page structure question than an seo question

Banned
    Member #
    I wrote a custom SEO database system that loads the meta tags in real time! Know anyone who needs something like that?

Regards, Drew
    Captain Media

Remove Ads