Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I am a web designer and i just finished http://www.timsilva.com/ (my v3 layout) and I really want to spread my site around, I already submitted and get decent results on google, but I would like to become a bit more known... any comments on my site would be nice too.

Member #
    Start by looking for banner exchanges post in hows my site and add the link to your email
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    You might try checking your server, too, it's down at the moment. Won't do much good to spread your site if no one can see it.

Member #
    If you want to spread your site. Start by ...

1. Setting up a link signature in your forum posts.

2. Find other sites that want to link to you. You might have to link back to them. (This is called link exchange).

3. Submit your site to web directories. The two famous ones are Yahoo Directory and Open Directory Project

4. Banner exchanges.

The thing with Flash site is that you can not easily keyword optimize it for search engines. So the above tips would be your best bet.

You can find more tutorial on site promotion here.

Member #
    Try this site, it will submit your website to all the major search engines for free in exchange for a small logo of theirs to place on your site somewhere.

AddMe

As long as you're meta tags and everything are setup correctly then, use the above site and you're good to go. You should be receiving lots of hits, given if you're meta tags are good enough.

Member #
    Try building links through Directory submissions and having your own blog will help too
    Sycamore.in
    Fair Deal India
    Online Ludhiana - Bringing Punjabi's together
    Yahoo India Forum - A Complete Portal

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by artcoder
    3. Submit your site to web directories. The two famous ones are Yahoo Directory and Open Directory Project
    Seems like I recently read that Yahoo is no longer accepting free submissions to its directory. ODP is still a viable option, however, particularly since so many other search / directory providers license their index of sites.

Also consider Zeal, LookSmart's link submission "community." It's the only way to get listed in their index. Actually not a bad idea on their part, since it brings a bit of peer review to the process. Interesting notion, anyway. Not so sure about the execution.

For more ideas and suggestions, read Search Engine Watch's submission tips, Bazzinet's "Semantic HTML (or: Search Engine Optimization Made Easy)," and the SEOmoz Beginner's Guide to Search Engine Optimization.
    Zenscope Studio
    Quality Website Development and Graphic Design
    Specializing in Independently-Owned Businesses and Non-Profits
    www.zenscope.com

Member #
    Seems like I recently read that Yahoo is no longer accepting free submissions to its directory
    Wow, if this is the case, then that's one major search engine down, since most ppl would use Yahoo! or Google to submit there site!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by NanashiX5
    Wow, if this is the case, then that's one major search engine down, since most ppl would use Yahoo! or Google to submit there site!
    Looks like I was mistaken. I went far enough through the submission process to get their Terms of Service, and while the process up to that point sure made it seem like I'd be charged a fee I found the following in section 2.1:

You may choose to submit your site for consideration through Yahoo!'s free "Suggest a Site" service. Note: due to the number of free suggestions received, Yahoo! cannot guarantee a response within a particular time period.
    The fee-based service is described in section 2.4:

The current fee for Yahoo! Directory Submit for initial consideration in the Directory is a NON-REFUNDABLE fee of US $299.00 applicable for each web site submitted that does not include adult content and/or services. If you are submitting a site offering adult content and/or services, the applicable fee for initial consideration in the Directory is a NON-REFUNDABLE FEE of US $600.00. All adult sites must be submitted to the most appropriate category under Business and Economy/Shopping and Services/Sex. You acknowledge that the payment of this fee is for consideration of your site AND DOES NOT IN ANY WAY GUARANTEE THAT YOUR SITE WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE DIRECTORY.

...If your web site is accepted for inclusion in the commercial Directory as part of Yahoo! Directory Submit on or after December 28, 2001, then your web site's continued inclusion in the Directory will be subject to an additional annual review for compliance with the minimum site criteria and you agree that your credit card will be charged the then-current Recurring Annual Fee. Subject to Section 1.3 above, the current Recurring Annual Fee is US $299 for web sites that do not offer adult content and/or services and is US $600 for web sites that do offer adult content and/or services.
    Unfortunately, Yahoo's help documentation on getting your site listed states that this onerous recurring fee is a requirement for commercial sites that want to be listed in the directory. Not worth the money, in my opinion.

You can still submit your site to Yahoo's search crawler for free (first link on this page), but it's much slower to update than Google or MSN Search. Naturally, if you want faster inclusion you can pay Yahoo for both submitting the URL and for every click your receive in search results thereafter. What a freakin' racket.

Update: I just re-read this after posting it, and I was kind of rambling and ranting. To clarify: personal sites and non-profit sites do not have to pay for inclusion in Yahoo's directory, but commercial sites do have to pay through the nose.
    Zenscope Studio
    Quality Website Development and Graphic Design
    Specializing in Independently-Owned Businesses and Non-Profits
    www.zenscope.com

Member #
    But of course, if going the free route it will be slower than just paying Yahoo! for their premium site submission. Then again you can make use of multi search engine submission sites to do it for you for free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads