Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have a game review site that comes up within the first five or so pages in a search on google for "Socom Three Review" ( but with the number not the word "three") and even better on msn search. But I have never had any traffic to my site of anyone searching for "Socom Three Review" or any game review for that matter. One would think that would be a great keyword search to come up so high under but no. I get nada from it. Why do websites spend so much time and money gathering review content when no one is searching for them?

btw - I altered the actual search phrase - using the word "three" and not the number - because I didn't want it to effect my search rank. Sorry, admin. Responses can use the number if you want but you may mess up my rank. But my sites' not getting any hits on it anyway.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    People may be loyal to a trusted source. I visit IGN for reviews which generally seem accurate.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The first five or so pages is meaningless. First page. First page is all that matters.

Top ten is when you start getting some traffic, top 3 is when you actually get traffic. If you're not on the front page, don't hope for any traffic unless it's a super-duper common search like "Paris Hilton"
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brak
    The first five or so pages is meaningless. First page. First page is all that matters.
    and yet i've gotten small increments of visits from obscure game cheat searches 10-13 pages deep. but none from "socom three review" with it being on the third page.hmm. i think i learned something here. people search for cheats, but for game reviews, maybe they go to established sources like filburt said? i should add more cheats.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by duck444
    and yet i've gotten small increments of visits from obscure game cheat searches 10-13 pages deep. but none from "socom three review" with it being on the third page.hmm. i think i learned something here. people search for cheats, but for game reviews, maybe they go to established sources like filburt said? i should add more cheats.
    No, you've not learned a thing about searching. You've found that there's not many good resources on cheats. When the resources aren't good on the first page, people delve deeper. There are awesome results for reviews on the first page, no reason for someone to go deeper.

It's very, very simple. People search for something. If they don't find it, they go on to the next page. That's it.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by duck444
    People can find cheats anywhere. You would have to make your site unique for people to choose it (and stay there) over others.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    People can find cheats anywhere. You would have to make your site unique for people to choose it (and stay there) over others.
    I would like to politely challenge that assertion of our esteemed admin.

Don't get me wrong, Web Design Forums is awesome, and I always come here first for help, (I'm such a charity case) but there are many other web designing forums out there. I may not be using this site to its full potential, but I'm not aware of anything uniquely special about it compared to other web design sites that have also acheived similiar levels of activity. I would add, acheiving the kind of activity you have is no easy task and special in itself but no more special than other sites that have done it too.

If you look at the rest of the internet, you'll see even stronger examples. There are sites (forums specifically) that offer nothing nothing more special from the next, only a place to talk about video games (for example) yet they are thriving with activity. Granted, having a special site can help but it doesn't seem to be always required, at least from the point of view of the "little guy" looking in..

I okay you can throw stuff at me now. (hopefully you won't).

Member #
    duck. these sites may not offer anything special, but they have probably been around long enough to gain popularity in both the search engines and in direct requests (bookmarks or whatever).

If you want to create a NEW site that basically already exists throughout the web 1million times over, you are going to need something "special" to gain traffic.

and yea, 5th page in SE ranking is poopsmagee. it might get you a couple hits, but nothing significant.
    Nickhead
    musicpitt.net

Remove Ads