Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Ok i have jasonstanley.co.uk, i have inseted meta tags for content and keywords yet when i search google it doesn't find anything, its the same with yahoo.

Am i doing somethingw rong? Have i got to register my site somewhere?

Member #
    You can personally add your site to google (http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl) and in their terms it states that even if you try to add yourself to them and they know about you, it will not affect you.

How long has your site been up?

Check your web stats and look for being visited by googlebot, msnbot, etc.

Having meta tags is obviously good, also try and incorporate the keywords into the first paragraph of your page. Also, having meta tags that relate to each specific page is good practice (I normally have words that relate to the whole site and then by page).

Hope this helps.

Member #
    My site has been up for about 2 months though the content has been changing quite a bit lately, how do i check if a bot has come to my page?

Member #
    You have a control panel?

You should get a list of all your hits/visits.. and for me, mine are grouped, users, and robots (search engines).

Member #
    I have a stats panel, there are stats for hits, page views, location of people, where they came from

but there is nothing which tells me if they were bots or peoples.

Member #
    Google doesn't look at meta keywords, by the way. Not sure if it looks at meta content either, but my guess is no.

Member #
    The problem is that your site www.jasonstanley.co.uk hasnt got any content! Also your 2nd meta tag isn't closed off properly.
    HTML Code:
    <meta name="description" content="jasonstanley.co.uk provides a user with clean, innovative and cost effective web design" />
    There are many things that will get you listed in google. (fresh) Content, incoming links, relavance of links etc.

Put a link to your website in your signature here at WDF. That way google will spider WDF and then find their way onto your site. Thats a start.

I'm busy developing a blog, and I don't want it going live just yet, and therefore I haven't linked to it at all. But while testing I linked to google and another blog in a test post, and now it is in the top 10 results in google! Scary....

Member #
    Hi Jason,

As well as getting some content onto your homepage, it might be worth taking another look at your page title - this should really incorporate some fo the keywords / phrases you're looking to get picked up under on Google and similar. A good inbound links strategy will help you get spidered more quickly as well.
    Even by doing everything right, it can take time to crack. Patience is a virtue - keep at it and you should get the results you want.

Cheers!
    Russ

Member #
    perad, the fact that your content has been changing is actually a good thing. Search engines really dig sites that have dynamic content (dynamic as in changing, not php / asp whatever).

but as we have discovered... you do not have any content.

Why would you want people going to this site anyways if it is not done? More importantly, who is going to hire a web designer to create their site when the designer's site isn't even functional. These are much heavier problems. Solve them before you worry about the google monster.

good luck.
    Nickhead
    musicpitt.net

Member #
    Sorry, i haven't been on here lately. I was only asking because i was starting to get concerned that google hadn't included in me in yet.

I am finding it hard to get my head around, could someone possibly link me to how google works exactly?

Or maybe explain how spiders work..

And one other thing... would it possible to have a hidden paragraph using css to put keywords at the top of your page? Or wouldn't that help your rankings.. perhaps have...

<div id="banner">
    <span>keywords in a paragraph</span>
    </div>

Then in your CSS changing the text to a banner image. Does anyone know if this would work?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads