Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I just hit position 66,000 on ALexa today seems good as I started of at 2million - but does it actually mean anything I just read how they work out your rank and it said people with an Alexa toolbar visitng your site. Does anyone use ALexa toolbars?? Is there another Alexa equivilan out there I could compare to!

Member #
    Alexa rank is a poor tool to measure rankings, and can be easily faked with various tools on the internet, if they have the alexa bar it will increase each time they goto your website, I have also read articles that state a lower alexa rank is better, greywolf has a blog on this aswell. I dont know to much about it because I dont place much emphasis on it. use your stats to check the visitors and never soley purchase a website on alexa rank as they can be easily faked. hope this helps.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It's completely worthless, just like most ratings. Google PR is better but no perfect measurement either.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I tend to disagree that it's completely worthless.

I think that it's a decent measure of general market pervasiveness of your site.

If even, say, a hundred thousand people use Alexa, then it's giving you decent statistical data. And a move from 2 million to 60,000 indicates a definite increase in traffic or site pervasiveness.

I think for larger sites (say, those in the top 1000) it gives even better data. But if you're in the top 1000, I doubt you need Alexa's data. :-D

Member #
    I try to use a combination of google PR and alexa rank to work out the popularity of my site, its FAR from accurate but it gives me a rough idea of what i need to work on.

Member #
    Get the Alexa toolbar and go to your site ten times a day. You can drive the numbers even higher. That said... it is worthless.

Member #
    cheating Alexa really is pointless, the alexa ranking is a bit of a laugh (for me) that gives you some minor bragging points among friends, it can be slightly helpful if you use it to analyse your overall website in regards to other more accurate popularity measures.

Member #
    By clicking on "Related Links" you can use Alexa to see what sites the webmaster of a site visited after installing the toolbar and before deinstalling it 10 minutes later.

Member #
    it's not great but it's better than nothing

Member #
    I agree the Alexa ranking is fairly unreliable as a measure of popularity as some industries (eg: web design and SEO) tend to have the toolbar installed in the browser more than people in other industries and so that skews the figures. I also find that if I've been working hard on my site for a week or so, refreshing a page every five mins to see the updated page then Alexa can even register this as a significant boost in ranking, and I mean significant!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads