Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    SEO seems to be anti-design - very text-oriented and to the point, but we need visitors to our sites, and Search Engine rankings brings visitors.

While interesting Web Designs often use Flash animations and Images for better visual appearance, and may make a site sticky and exciting to visitors.

How do you resolve the conflict between Search Engine Optimization & Web Design

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 000
    [COLOR=navy]How do you resolve the conflict between Search Engine Optimization & Web Design
    Typically, for design-intensive sites, you have to forego SEO and pay for traffic (with adwords, etc).

However, if you use your Flash and graphics as elements in a website that is text-intensive, and use CSS instead of graphic text, you can still accomplish a highly optimized site that looks pretty cool.

www.grassrootsamerica.com is my employer's website.

It uses flash and lots of graphics, but is still pretty well optimized. It's on page one for the following searches:

sales channel promotions
    sales channel marketing
    sales channel incentive programs
    sales incentive programs
    employee promotions
    consumer promotions
    data mining web reporting
    global fulfillment

Member #
    I asked this question a while back as well. When your website is "new", it is best to focus on SEO. Then, once your website becomes "sticky" and generates a lot of repeat visitors you can start to focus on a better design.

It is hard to focus just on SEO, but it will pay off once it gets going.
    Jeff S.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    As I said before, focusing on SEO doesn't mean designing less, just designing differently.

Member #
    Actually in my views search engines are trying to be as humanly as possible (minus the ignorance to aesthetics), so if you can make a site thats user-friendly, most likely it's also search engine-friendly. Of course you need to account that machines are limited, so you may need to provide certain methods of using your site for search engines. That's SEO.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    I'd agree that SEO friendly sites can look good and work well. I think it's the Flash and overdesigning that stops a site working.
    I guess it's the word sticky that's the key. Do you want people to stay on a site or should they really be doing something. Either clicking on your adds or whatever your call to action is. On all my sites overdesigning has always reduced the perfomance as measured by traffic analysis.
    I've never seen flashy sites working well but I assume there is a market where this occurs although I like to see it proven first.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The best way to achieve SEO with design is using CSS and Javascript replacement techniques to turn your text into images or Flash. CSS is used for turning regular text into images (via background settings and such), while Javascript can be used for slipping Flash in behind-the-scenes.

Member #
    I think some of the best looking sites, are stright xhtml/css ... css image replacement is one technique, I use that here http://wavestatic.com in my header graphic.

No using CSS and JS tricks can only get you so far before Google will catch on, and then you'll get black balled.

And with great JS effects libraries like MooTools and more, I find flash less and less desireable.

So yes, you can have a great design and still hit it big in SEO

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm not saying generate a whole lot of crap text just for SEO purposes. I mean mark up your site as if it were a plain text site, then improve it incrementally with CSS and JS replacement techniques. Overloading your site with keywords for SEO purposes is universally bad and extremely bad netiquette. Whenever I run across one of those sites, I want to take their creators and do very violent things to them...

Member #
    While it may be interesting, you shouldn't make the same post on every board available.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Remove Ads