Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Here is the situation: I compare links on my site and on site of my competitor in google. I type "link:www.mysite.com" and "link:www.hissite.com" and I see that he has much more links than I. But what is weird, is that almost all sites that link to him also link to me and google doesn't show it in my links. Why?

P.S. I checked the source code of those pages, that link to both of our sites, and I couldn't find the differences between those links. Both links are direct and link to correct URL.
    P.P.S. Some of those links are more than 5 years old, so it can't be that google didn't index those pages with links on my site.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    this is something most of us have been through! Basically, the link command is not a very good way of seeing who links to your site....

I always do a search for the URL... Ie something like:

".mysite.com"

.. including the quotes, it's not prefect but will yield more realistic results...

Hope this helps

-Hagen
    Hagen Rose: hagen(at)jxwd(dot)co(dot)uk
    JX Web Development, Bournemouth, Dorset...JXWD.co.uk

Member #
    I agree with you Andrey. That fact you mentioned made me contemplate as well. Why is Google not consistent on this matter? I can't find the exact basis so far..

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's important to remember this is not how Google "defines" links to your site...

It's just that the link command isn't very comprehensive at SHOWING the links...

So don't lose hope, it's just a poor indicator... :-)

-Hagen

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    They probably keep a database of links, but when they calculate PageRank, it's highly likely that they take into consideration far more links than are stored in the database. Why? I dunno. Efficiency, maybe. Maybe disk space, though I somehow doubt that *particular* issue is a problem for Google :-P

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have a suspiscion that it has something to do with Google being not one single entity but a number of coexisting mirror sites...

My advice is to forget the link command, its just plain sily....

Member #
    I think google updates its "link command" every quarter. So now your site might have more incoming links than your competitor, but you have to wait and see. I may be wrong though.
    Jeff S.

Remove Ads