Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Recently we launched a new lifestyle site for people who dont want kids, and we were trying to come up with unique non-internet related ways to build site traffic. I was just wondering what ideas you guys could come up with, or have in the past.

Our idea was to use stickers. We live in a big college town, and we were thinking about going downtown around the college, and putting stickers in all the little coffee shops and bars, just like up and coming bands.
    http://christopher-scott.org - Ramblings of an amateur web designer
    http://childfreechoice.com - An online community for the positively childfree

Member #
    Stickers are good. Postcards are also good.
    Both are pretty low cost if you shop around.

Then obviously, look for places to put them (music stores, laundromats, coffee shops, etc). Places you know single people (or people w/o kids would hang out).
    A lot of grocery stores have bulletin boards where you can post stuff too. I tend to see a lot of stuff at payphones also around the Seattle area.

You can also do the flyers on the windshield type thing at club parking lots or other populated areas.
    Good luck with your endevour.........
    GMan

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by planetgman
    You can also do the flyers on the windshield type thing at club parking lots or other populated areas.
    You may wanna check the legality of that though... here in Saskatoon, it is illegal, and carries pretty big fines.

Grocery stores may be a good place, or video rental places, maybe even churches, you never know.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    if its a college place cant you put some of them postcards in the libraries and that? people do it round here all the time.

also word of mouth is great

Member #
    What about advertising in local publications? I know it's old school, but there are many special interest weeklies with a large audience.

I think stickers are a bit juvenile, but maybe that's because I just don't like stickers at all. How about magnets! Way better, and you can stick them on your car and your refrigerator!

Free T-shirts.

Participating in events. You can organize a team for fundraisers and what not, sponsor a band, get matching T-shirts so other attendees think you're cool (or dorky) and become interested...
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    The postcards are a good idea, we're gonna look into that.

Also, I think I might have been a bit unclear, but I was just wondering about ideas for anyone's site, not just mine. I just used mine as an example.

Has anyone had much success with non-internet releated advertising? Was it worth it?
    http://christopher-scott.org - Ramblings of an amateur web designer
    http://childfreechoice.com - An online community for the positively childfree

Remove Ads