Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I'm using a CMS to manage a large site. The Meta Titles are generated dynamically which is good. However, this is not possible for the Description. There is the option to set a global Description. I'm wondering if it is better to have a Description that will appear on thousands of pages, or if it is better to leave the Description blank. It seems that a lot my less important pages are showing up in the supplementary results. I'm wondering if having a duplicate Description is the culprit.

Member #
    Hi undoIT,
    Can you show some examples? The fact that some of the pages appear in the Supplemental results is more likely a result of a lack of backlinks to those pages. Here is an entry in Adam Lasnik's Google group which discussed the Supplemental results issue in depth: http://groups.google.com/group/Googl...30d7e2a6efc4bf

While the description Meta tag does not carry as much weight as it once did, we like to try to create unique ones for each page of a web site. Based on your comment above, I am gathering that this is not possible to do automatically with your CMS. If that is the case, can you manually edit them for the individual pages? I know that you said this is a large site, so that suggestion may be prohibitive.

Member #
    Perhaps it is just the lack of deep linking. The site is http://themebot.com/

The home page and many of the main sections that are not new are ranked quite well. Once you go deeper though, every thing falls off the supplemental cliff. I decided to remove the automatic creation of description and keywords meta. I am able to control the descriptions on a page by page basis with a new module I've installed and wrote it in for the most important pages. I decided to ignore the keywords.

Member #
    The site looks really good. Nice job!

You're right, once you get some backlinks to those interior pages, you should see fewer of them appearing on the supplemental index.

If you haven't already done so, you could consider submitting the articles from this page to online article directories: http://themebot.com/articles/tips-and-tutorials/
    That is a great way to get some deep backlinks, if those pages need the help, that is.

First, make sure that Google has already indexed each of those articles as coming from your site so that you get the credit and don't get a duplicate content penalty. Then, search "article submission" or similar for several online directories to which you could submit.

In addtion, here is a great list of SEO friendly directories where you could get some backlinks: http://info.vilesilencer.com/main.ph...endly-list.php

Hope this helps .

Member #
    Thanks for the advice. It seems that most of the older articles are ranked pretty well. I was concerned about the gallery and downloads section. It seems that many if not all of the actual downloads are in supplemental results. Perhaps it is just an issue of being too deeply nested in the site and not having enough content.

I also thought having duplicate descriptions and keywords on all of those pages might eventually pull the already ranked pages into supplemental too. I set up the <a href="http://themebot.com/new-free-web-layouts/">New Free Web Layouts Section</a> so that new themes by member's are accessible from the home page and then they get the link juice back to their site.

I'm working on another site and will use the resources you listed above. Good to know

Cheers.

Member #
    If those articles are already ranking, I would submit them to the articles directories for sure. That will only improve the number of backlinks to your site and should also give you some traffic.

You might consider changing this:
    This article - http://themebot.com/articles/tips-an...up-backup.html - appears in at least 3 places on your site. First, it shows on the home page. Then, it shows on this page: http://themebot.com/articles/tips-and-tutorials/. Finally, it shows on its own page. You might consider keeping it on its own page and simply pointing keyword links to that page from the home page and from the /tips-and-tutorials page. Just my $0.02.

Site looks really nice.

Member #
    Are the descriptions really necessary? I'm wondering, because so far I haven't noticed anything use them in a long time... I'm more worried they'd bloat your filesize.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    We still use them because they still show up in SERPs. They don't carry the same weight as the <title> tag, but I think they still carry a little weight, mostly with Yahoo, it seems. We keep them between 150 and 200 characters, since more than that gets cut off by the SEs.

Member #
    200 bytes is a lot for each page, especially since it's not cached. 100.000 page views a day = 20mb size wasted for just the Meta. Is it worth it? I really don't think so...
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Yes, but what would your description be in the SERPs if you did not use the META description?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads