Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have a flash sub-site on my site. At the moment this one, the page linking to the flash site, is higher in Google.

Christine Almond Flash Site

I need the actual site to be higher:

Christine almond's flash site

The problem is its in flash. How does google deal with a page that is mostly flash? How can you improve the ranking of a flash site, other than backlinks, and meta tags. Is there any way?

Cheers

Member #
    A few things can be done. Providing an HTML version is usually the best choice. Of course, in that case, it'll be better not to use flash at all.

My flash checklist:

1. What are your intentions of using flash: aesthetics or a certain function?

2.aesthetics. Is this effect absolutely necessary for your site?
    3.aesthetics. Is this flash-specific? (ie, can't replicate this by HTML/CSS/JS)
    4.aesthetics. Will everyone know how to use your site?

2.function. Is this function crucial for your site?
    3.function. Is it impossible to separate this functional flash item from the rest of your site?

If you answered "no" to any questions here, then don't use flash.

There are a couple of other reasons not to use flash. For example, typically you have to wait longer than HTML. Much longer. Cache doesn't always work. And you can't bookmark certain pages.

For your existing site:

1. It's not effective to give this kind of gallery. It's cool, yes, but ineffective, especially for the arts further back.
    2. You can replicate the page system with standard multiple HTML pages.
    3. You can use lightboxes for images.

All that said, why use flash?
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    hehe, I am not the greatest fan of flash. This was a Uni project where we had to find a artist/friend/family member and put some of their work online, in flash. Otherwise I would have used lightboxes.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Steax
    A few things can be done. Providing an HTML version is usually the best choice. Of course, in that case, it'll be better not to use flash at all.

My flash checklist:

1. What are your intentions of using flash: aesthetics or a certain function?

2.aesthetics. Is this effect absolutely necessary for your site?
    3.aesthetics. Is this flash-specific? (ie, can't replicate this by HTML/CSS/JS)
    4.aesthetics. Will everyone know how to use your site?

2.function. Is this function crucial for your site?
    3.function. Is it impossible to separate this functional flash item from the rest of your site?

If you answered "no" to any questions here, then don't use flash.

There are a couple of other reasons not to use flash. For example, typically you have to wait longer than HTML. Much longer. Cache doesn't always work. And you can't bookmark certain pages.

For your existing site:

1. It's not effective to give this kind of gallery. It's cool, yes, but ineffective, especially for the arts further back.
    2. You can replicate the page system with standard multiple HTML pages.
    3. You can use lightboxes for images.

All that said, why use flash?
    Excellent post, pretty much sums it up for me.

Member #
    I would say to make a mirror site in HTML that is linked to the flash site. That way the html site can be indexed yet people can still see the flash site as well.

Member #
    Or just make it in HTML. Isn't it simpler that way?
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Flash looks great. I used to create full flash websites and although still have a few of them I have stopped creating full flash websites for seo reasons.
    I do use flash but as part of my overall html website e.g. for a banner. I have used a flash menu on my websites but at the same time I also use a html menu. In other words if I have a flash menu on the top at the bottom of the page I will have a simple text html menu as well.
    Hope this helps those who want to use a flash menu on a website

Member #
    Why has no one mentioned XML here?
    Obviously the best choice IS making a HTML mirror, but you can suplement this by creating and linking an XML file to your embedded object. This is a great thing for flash navs and full flash site... check into that...

Warning:
    Does require a bit of work
    Ryan Russell
    CEO & Creative Director
    gingabox Creative Studio / IOK-4

URLS:
    http://www.gingabox.com
    http://www.iok-4.com
    http://www.iok4.com

Remove Ads