Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I've started to make SEO for our Web Design Company Cratima
    and one of the problems I am confronting with is that there is
    a fee difference between different web directories on the web.

I can submit our site to free web directories, reciprocal link directories,
    and paid directories.

Now, my question is: is there really a difference between this submissions?
    I mean, does Google index your site depending on the amount of money you pay a web directory site? Or do this paid web directories offer services that help Google index your site better?

I'm looking forward for your replies, thanks !
    Cratima helps you build your company website.
    Visit us: www.cratima.com
    International Web Design

Member #
    No, Google doesn't care how much money you pay, but generally those who charge have a higher average page rank. Getting your site on just directories can also hurt you in the end as pages with more external links than internal aren't given as much weight.

The directory you really need register on is Dmoz (dmoz.org) as it is a big influence on Google. Sometimes descriptions that show up in search results are even pulled from here (don't know if that's relevant anymore). Do a search for your industry and I recommend keeping it regional if possible. Achieving high rankings on regional keywords/phrases is easier than generic.

The other you might want to do is Yahoo! directory ($299/year).

Hope that helps!

Member #
    Be careful of link farms that pose as directories; you don't want to be associated with those types of "directories." Before you pay your money to a paid directory do a couple of searches to see the types of sites they admit. If most of your searches reveal mostly spam and other types of junk that Google's banning then keep your money safe in your pocket; that also goes for recipricol link directories and linking to link farms could possibly hurt your Google page rank.

Regarding Dmoz descriptions: you can use the NoODP tag to keep the three major search engines from using your Google description. Here's a funny article where a Republican who's thinking about running for President and has formed a "testing the waters" committee found out that when their site shows up in search it has the description of "exploratory" committee, which, apparently means something more serious, and is being taken from the Dmoz description, which has since changed. It's the 3rd article down, and a Google spokeswoman acknowledges that Google takes descriptions from the ODP. Also, since this "incident" that category has a new editor....hmmm.
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/p...2008trail.html

Member #
    I've heard that Google banns all the web sites that use paid directories.
    A colleague of mine at Cratima Interactive has just sent yesterday
    an e-mail to Google to ask for more details, no answer yet.
    Cratima helps you build your company website.
    Visit us: www.cratima.com
    International Web Design

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Submitting to Paid Directories (the quality ones and those with high traffic stats) are a great means to draw targeted traffic to your site. As to its SEO benefits, I doubt that there are any serious consequences if you happen to submit to quality directories.
    OneIMS.com - SEO and Website Solutions
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

Remove Ads